Halifax Home Insurance Reclaim?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
1 reply 1.1K views
MrsJSMMrsJSM Forumite
7 Posts
When we took our mortgage with the Halifax in 2007 we were told we had to take our home insurance through them too and the payment was combined into our monthly mortgage payment. This ran until at least 2011.

Looking back at paperwork it Looks like I already had building and contents insurance with Aviva for part of the period I was covered by Halifax.

Do I have a right to reclaim from Halifax on the basis we were advised we had to take it? If so can you advise how I'd go about this. I've had a look on the site for info but can't find anything relating to this.

Thanks!

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When we took our mortgage with the Halifax in 2007 we were told we had to take our home insurance through them too and the payment was combined into our monthly mortgage payment. This ran until at least 2011.

it is possible you did need it for the deal you purchased.
    Looking back at paperwork it Looks like I already had building and contents insurance with Aviva for part of the period I was covered by Halifax.

Did they cover the same property?
    Which was taken out first?
    Do I have a right to reclaim from Halifax on the basis we were advised we had to take it?

not quite.

You need to notify both providers that you were dual insured and give each provider details of the others policy. They will verify bewteen them if the plans overlapped and decide between them who will refund what.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides