How Much Can We Afford?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
1 reply 767 views
HestonChopsHestonChops Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
Can anyone help as I'm receiving conflicting information ....

Myself and the husband are about to buy a house. We are in rented accommodation (currently pay £700 pcm) and have approximately £20k saved towards a deposit.

We earn £50K per annum combined.
We own a flat that is rented out and generates an income of circa £6k per annum.

We are looking up to £190,000 because we don't want our monthly repayments to be much more than we pay in rent now.

Here's for the but .....

The husband has a £1800 satisfied CCJ from 3 years ago. We have about £4k on credit cards and a recent £8k bank loan (new car).

Will the outstanding debt, despite being well managed and never missing payments, count against us when obtaining a mortgage and are we being unrealistic on the upper level of our budget? I.e do we need to be looking closer to £170k if we don't want to pay more than £800 a month in repayments?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Replies

• ACGACG Forumite
    21.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will impact affordability but I suspect it should be achievable. You need to speak to a broker or jump on the lenders affordability calculators.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals