minecraft story mode warning (for parents)

I have put for parents in the title as I am sure adults playing this will be more savvy.

My eight year old downloaded the minecraft story free trial episode one, he asked me if he could spend his money on episode two (he knows to ask before he spends anything).

He brought episode two and it downloaded. However when he went to play it turns out that you also have to pay to continue episode one (the free trial is not the whole episode) my son can't get this as he has spend all his money. It wouldn't be so bad but he can't access episode two which he has paid for until he buys episode one :(

I do think the game should not have the episodes available to buy until you can actually access them.

Replies

• My take is this. You KNEW that you had a trial version, why on earth would you even think that buying episode 2 would ignore the fact that you never actually paid for the full version of episode 1? I'm not entirely familiar with Minecraft or it's new story mode, but surely it's common sense to assume that you can't access 2 if you never played 1 in this case? For me it would suggest that episode 2 is a follow on from episode one, you have the trial version thereof, not the full version - which SHOULD have been abundantly clear.

I'll say this - I agree that it's perhaps a bit naughty to allow purchase of further episodes if your account is not showing purchase of the first.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • edited 30 October 2015 at 7:43PM
    iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 October 2015 at 7:43PM
    I take your point I have just spoken to my son about this again.

Apparently he did realise it was only a trail of episode 1 and not the whole thing but he didn't want to buy the whole episode as he had some of it for free. He wanted to spend his money on a complete episode (i must have taught him value for money well :rotfl:) and miss the remainder of episode 1. He didn't know he couldn't do this and why should he, to him its a story he reads books that are part of a series and can just buy whichever book he wants, he does not have to purchase them in order.

If I had questioned him more beforehand and thought about it more I might have come to the conclusion what you are saying but I just let him get on with it hence why I have posted to warn other parents to stop and check to make sure their child doesn't do the same thing.

I also got him to show me the steps he used to purchase in case he missed something (he may not have read it properly) but no where can I see on the purchase page it says not to buy unless you have episode 1.
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Which platform?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • xbox 360, why??
  • RobTangRobTang Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    The Xbox one store and the website for the 360 version does state Episode one is required & sold separately.
    I wouldn't think the text on the 360 store is any different.
  • edited 31 October 2015 at 5:04PM
    iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 October 2015 at 5:04PM
    RobTang wrote: »
    The Xbox one store and the website for the 360 version does state Episode one is required & sold separately.
    I wouldn't think the text on the 360 store is any different.
    #

It didn't say anything I checked myself (it may have said before he purchased it but I can't see the description changing after purchase). Where did you see this info? are you looking on the website, my son buys all his downloads direct though the xbox he doesn't look at the computer store.

EDIT: jut checked and it does say episode one required on the store via the computer but there is no mention of this on the store accessed through the xbox.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum