PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bacon bits

I have searched but haven't been able to find a recent post about bacon bits-maybe wrong tho!

In the last few months I have bought some packs of bacon bits from Li*dl, they are £1.50.
I do check all the packs very carefully I try and chose the leanest.

From 1 pack I have been able to make masses of meals, just thought I'd check on here after having a "gill up" tonight!

This is what the last pack I bought has made-bearing in mind I do cut all the fat off (trying to diet)
  • Quiche Lorraine
  • Cowboy casserole (slow cooker) bacon, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms etc.
  • Stir fry-with peppers, onions, mushrooms, bacon chopped up
  • Tatws pum munud (Welsh recipe) translates to 5 minutes potatoes-but it actually takes about an hour. layer thinly sliced potatoes, layer onions, some bacon bits chopped, all in layers up a deep frying pan, pour water & beef Oxo over the top until it comes to the rim of pan, simmer for ages, the water will get thicker, the juice will evaporate, and the whole thing turns into a lovely tasty mush!
      Bacon & lentil burgers (made this up, with onion & spice & bit of mashed spuds-quite nice.
      Bacon, scrambled egg, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms-what I had tonight. Think this seams quite good value for money, I have a pack in the freezer now. Obviously when I buy a pack I sometimes freeze some of the above so we're not eating bacon forever! Other ideas could be risottos, bacon & egg pie, stuffed peppers.
:j

Comments

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Opps not sure why the "lists" have appeared-I though I'd done bullet points!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    yes, I like packs of 'Bits' too! I don't see why not if you are going to cut the meat up anyway! who is gonna know?
    last week I bought a pack of Ham 'Bits' from Aldee, so far its made some thick ham sandwiches for OHs lunch box (not just one day but three days!) a ham, egg and chips lunch for myself, a goodly amount went into OHs Tomato and Ham Pasta for supper tonight, and I have about six or seven thick large slices left to wonder what to do with now?
  • toozie_2
    meritaten wrote: »
    yes, I like packs of 'Bits' too! I don't see why not if you are going to cut the meat up anyway! who is gonna know?
    last week I bought a pack of Ham 'Bits' from Aldee, so far its made some thick ham sandwiches for OHs lunch box (not just one day but three days!) a ham, egg and chips lunch for myself, a goodly amount went into OHs Tomato and Ham Pasta for supper tonight, and I have about six or seven thick large slices left to wonder what to do with now?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8812/ham-leek-and-potato-pie

I have done this one (or similar) loooooovely!
  • you could do quiche or an omlette or make a pot of bacon & lentil soup? I get my bacon bits from L*dl and always keep some stashed in the freezer. I love the smoked flavour .
  • toozie_2
    Agree, the smoked flavor is lovely.
    Actually you've got me thinking I could grill the whole pack, chop up into small bits, open freeze, then put into a bag, and just use a handful when needed, soup, pasta dish etc.:beer:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I buy bacon bits from Heron, often they'll be full slices which i use for the likes of Bacon & Egg, the smaller bits go into a stir-fry.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • I get the pack from Morrisons and it does us in macaroni cheese, risotto, pasta bake, fried up with potatoes and onions or put in a pie. For 80ish pence a pack we can stretch it to 2 or 3 meals with leftovers for lunch
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I hate bacon .... I can't see why people eat so much bacon and ham .... I hate them both. And gammon - ewwwww. Pork's not great either, I mostly avoid it. I can still remember a hairy pork roast joint with crackling/fat when I was young, that put me right off it forever.
  • I too buy 'bacon bits ' and smile at when its labeled 'cooking bacon' what else would you do with it,paper the walls :):):)
    Because I live alone I divide it up into three packs and freeze them separately so I don't have to eat it constantly.great value and I love a 'crispy bacon bits omelette' for lunch sometimes
    I can't remember the last time I bought sliced bacon, bacon is bacon and when you eat it its going to get chopped up anyway.DGS love a ciabatta roll with crispy bacon in it
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JackieO wrote: »
    I too buy 'bacon bits ' and smile at when its labeled 'cooking bacon' what else would you do with it,paper the walls :):):)

That's like when you hear one of these Tv chefs say that you need to .........."pan-fry"
    Well how else would you do it ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport