Business loan for home deposit - request for advice

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
7 replies 605 views
anyhelpappreciated23anyhelpappreciated23 Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice regarding the legality of using a loan taken out through a family business to contribute to a deposit for a residential house purchase.

A family member has suggested taking a loan (in the region of £30k) out on their business, gifting it straight to me (without me having to repay them) and combining this with my own funds to put down a deposit on a house.

I am not sure if this is legal or not so I would be grateful for any advice.

Kind regards.

Replies

• amnblogamnblog Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bit confused here.

If the business is giving you a loan it is not a gift.

It is legal if declared, most lenders do not accept loans as part of deposit but it can be done in theory with the right lender.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I wasn't clear. The suggestion is that the business takes out a loan from a bank, and the business owner then gifts me the value of that loan, which I then use as part of a deposit on a house.
  • amnblogamnblog Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where the donor gets the funds is not an issue (as long as it is legal).

The donor will need to be a close family member and provide a gift letter.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • edited 29 October 2015 at 5:30PM
    tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2015 at 5:30PM
    How is the business owner planning to account for giving away £30K? Not a problem for you but I can't see how he would put it through the books. Unless he takes it as a directors loan and then gifts you the money personally, and then pays back the money himself? Seems a convoluted way of doing things.
  • Thanks all. I'm told by the business owner that their loan is in fact a personal loan, not linked to the business. It would be based on their earnings as directors.

I assume this would be fine to be gifted to me for use as a deposit?

Regards.
  • TrickyDicky101TrickyDicky101 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do they expect you to repay them?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants