PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can i make with this motley collection?

Options
2»

Comments

• 117pauline
    Options
    I would suggest looking in your OH's cupboards to see what are duplicates and then use them first.

Then spend a couple of hours menu planning with the list in front of you, highlighting those items that are nearest their best before dates so you don't waste anything else.

It sounds odd but I have a document on my laptop that I use to remind me why I bought certain things like herbs and spices. My memory is dreadful so I put recipe links in to help too.

Finally if you can batch cook some meals you really like so you avoid your "pasta and pesto" moments.
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow that looks really healthy! Lots of yummy curries and lentil soups. We like a lentil and tomato sauce with pasta sometimes. Or a tinned fish pasta bake? Served with a big green salad .
    Vegan re ipe sites will have lots of ideas.
    I love mushroom rissotto!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a good site to type the ingredients you've got to get suggestions for meals.

https://recipeland.com/recipes/by_ingredient
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • FrugalWorker
    Options
    I'd assumed you were vegetarian with your legume collection till I hit the salmon, and then realized you hoard lot of stuff. I assume you like vegetarian meals!!

Things I try to do / or things that jump out:
    Fancy dried mushrooms + risotto rice

Tined pulses - make veggie burgers (I used a recipe by Mark Bittman from how to cook everything, it's on line, just google it)

I would keep a constant pot of Dahl on the go (I'm sure you've the spices hidden there somewhere) Lunch as often as you want.

I'd make a soup using the passata or use it in a chili/stew

You need to focus on as someone else said your tins/jars of stuff. When you've finished the 3 tins of baked beans you can make your own using the cannelloni beans - add pasatta/onion/herbs/etc - google for more details.

I often cook up a big pot of quinoa, and then add veggies / herbs / beans to make a salad. You could do the same with the couscous / bulgur. I find having something like this made means I'll bring lunch in to work with me.

For light meals - supper/lunch - I'd be going for beans on toast or salmon paste on toast just to try and use it up.

If you struggle drinking water, add a tablespoon of lime juice to a jug of water - makes it a whole new drink.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you been checking my cupboards ? I have started to reduce mine but I tend to feed my freezers too. As for the jam, my daughter always uses one and then replaces but I like to have a choice, blackcurrent one day, apricot another, pineapple another ditto with the paste, love a toasted paste sarnie. Use the search sites as suggested (trouble is, if I like it I will go out and buy ingredients again to re-make sometime) Like the idea of a note of what I bought stuff for, will try that. Good luck and get some big boxes, I had same problem when had kitchen remodeled, looks good but not as much storage as old one.
  • tinkerbel*79
    Options
    Invite people over for dinner every night. Nothing fancy and get them to help cook. Celebratory last meals at your old flat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure