Purchasing Medical supplies Tax Free

Options
Hi,
I am diabetic, resident in the UK and aware that if I purchase medical supplies for my own personal use, I can purchase them VAT free. I am trying to purchase some supplies from a company based in Germany, but they are stating that if I am buying them as an individual, I must pay the Tax, as the goods are not leaving the EU. I have been unable to find anything on the internet or HMRC websites that gives guidance on this scenario and wondered if anyone has any advice, or experience and esp. success.
If I can purchase these items without paying German VAT (19%), I will be able to save over £500/year so any help will be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance, Paul

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2015 at 2:29PM
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »

That refers to UK VAT, not the German equivalent. OP as you are making a purchase from Germany you'll need to verify their rules on the disability exemption.
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    VAT rules for sales between EC member countries (simplified!)

where the customer is a consumer (ie you) and not a company (you are not) then the supplier must operate the rule as follows:

either: the supplier must charge VAT based on the rules and rate applicable in whichever country the supplier is based, in this case Germany

or, only where the total value of sales by the supplier into the UK exceeds a total value threshold, must the supplier then register for VAT in the UK and charge UK VAT

based on what the supplier has told you they are not over the threshold and so must follow German VAT rules. I have no idea if Germany has any special rates/ relief for pharmaceutical items - it would appear not based on what they have told you

EC VAT rules are deliberately designed to prevent consumers being able to buy items in another EC country without paying VAT otherwise the system would be stupid since no one would buy stuff in their own country if they could buy it tax free from another EC country
  • pliljeros
    Options
    Thank you so much for the taking the time to answer so comprehensively. That makes perfect sense now and not one of the departments in the UK hmrc were even close to explaining that!

Kind regards, paul
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport