Struggling to choose venue...

Options
Hi everyone,

Got engaged two weeks ago and I know you're supposed to find this a majorly exciting time but I'm a bit overwhelmed.

My fianc! is very chilled so he doesn't mind where we get married really or how we do it so I feel like it's a little all on me to choose.

I really wanted a cheap barn type wedding. However it seemed after researching that this might not be cheap or easy if we needed to purchase alcohol, dress such a large space and keep it heated. I would like to find a venue I can decorate myself but I'm really struggling.

A compromise was woodland country centre near us in Sheffield but it's £2.5k to hire which seems extortionate!! Really didn't want to go down the traditional route but see why people do now.
Pay off Debts by Christmas 2015 = DEBT FREE! :)

Comments

• arbroath_lass
    Options
    Have you tried local community (village) halls?

You've only been engaged two weeks, breathe. Enjoy the planning.
  • scubaloo
    scubaloo Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2015 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement.
    I don't really post but I had to reply as I think we are in a really similar situation.

I got engaged a couple of months ago and like you I am completely overwhelmed by it all - I am not a 'bridey' person. I was also really surprised how hard and expensive it is to organise what I would think of as a 'simple' wedding. We have now booked the centre you mention in your post :)

I agree it is a lot of money, but for us it was important we could use our own caterers (the place we went almost every time we went out together at the start of our relationship) which narrows the venue options. Its worked out that because the food is also cheaper, the overall price is not so bad. And some of the organisation issues you mention such as heating and the bar are taken care of for us.

Some other local places we had on the list were:
    Bradfield village hall
    secret garden - gringley on the hill
    I can't vouch for them personally but they seem to be open to people doing their own thing. Cusworth hall in doncaster was also beautiful but not really the small barn you are after :)

Hope some of this is useful
  • benebabe
    benebabe Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    You could always try a local restaurant?

We're getting married in an old ruined castle grounds in a country park about 15 minutes drive, and then on to a local favourite restaurant for the reception. Food is great - and amazingly priced!
  • happybunny86
    Options
    scubaloo wrote: »
    Congratulations on your engagement.
    I don't really post but I had to reply as I think we are in a really similar situation.

Hope some of this is useful

I hope you don't mind but I've sent you a PM :)
    Pay off Debts by Christmas 2015 = DEBT FREE! :)
  • lauralaneOn
    Options
    Initially you need to decide whether you want a formal or a beachy bash wedding party.. :)
    After deciding this you need to think upon three things that are listed below-
    1. How many guests you are thinking to invite.
    2. You want a destination wedding or a local wedding
    3.You want religious ceremony or not?
    After deciding all these things then start thinking about the wedding venue.
    Have a happy wedding..!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport