Cheapest Place to buy glasses.

Options
I got made redundant 3 months ago, I went out and got a full time job straight away but I'm earning half of what I did earn. I'm only just above minimum wage. I'm actively looking for a new job but no luck yet, not even getting interviews.

Anyway I'm 25 live alone, no debt, still managing to keep on top or Bills and mortgage but I'm left with little to nothing. I lost my glasses 2 months ago and I really need new ones, although I can still see and read I'm getting dizzy and sick. I've tried so hard last month to have some money left over and I only have £25, so hoping to do the same again and have &50 by the end of October.

Where can I get an eye test and glasses for £50?

Can they just do me new glasses from my old prescription? It was a year ago.

I'm 100% I'll find a new job within a few months. But I know I can't continue without glasses, driving me insane.

Comments

• Emilymorgan_2
    Options
    I usually use Specsavers but work always contributed £150. Which always covered the expense.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Glasses Direct have frequent offers; also see the MSE page on cheap glasses currently showing an offer for glasses for £10 (subject to stock availability)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe glasses prescriptions are usually accepted if they are less than two years old, so unless you think your eyes have changed the year old prescription should be all you need.

Selectspecs is another cheap option - especially if you are getting more than one pair as glasses are from £6, but postage seems to have gone up to £5.95 so this is beaten by the £10 offers for a single pair.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • KARO
    KARO Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I can't help, but what is this country coming to. Someone could be walking around bumping into things and need glasses but if they can't afford any, tough luck?!

The NHS should pay for them. It's not like it's a luxury, being able to see.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked if you qualify for an NHS optical voucher...??

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/nhs-optical-voucher
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Basic non-prescription reading glasses from Poundshops.
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    In a similar situation I used speccy 4 eyes which I found from an mse deal and the glasses were cheap and lasted several years. I would use them again. Maybe look at the main site and see what deals Martin recommends?

Good luck op with the glasses and job hunting.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Do you drive? If you do, it's probably worth getting an eye test rather than using your old prescription so that you're sure you're up to date.

Are you in a trade union? Their hardship fund might be able to help?
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 October 2015 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Some Specsaver stores offer free eye tests. Take a look at their website and go to the stores section and find your nearest and if they have a voucher it'll be to the right of the location map.

It's worth having a mooch around the stores info as the one nearest you might not do a free voucher, but ones a little further away may do.

Some of the Specsavers glasses are £25 btw.
  • KARO
    KARO Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Do you drive? If you do, it's probably worth getting an eye test rather than using your old prescription so that you're sure you're up to date.

Genuine question, but if someone drives, surely it's a legal obligation for one's vision to be correct? :eek:

I am alarmed at the thought of drivers being too skint to get glasses that they need, and then driving around without them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure