Solicitor never looked at the seller's legal pack

I have bought an investment property that was entered into an auction. I have paid a deposit so the contracts have been exchanged by the auctioneers rules by the time I have insturcted my solicitors. I have done some research on property before but maybe not as much as I should have done, that was due to the short time I was given to make my mind up.

When I instructed the solicitor I informed her that the contract will be coming to her direct from the auctioneers and that the seller's legal pack is available on their web site.

The completion time took 3 weeks during which I have only had 1 standard letter from her. I assumed that there was no problems. 1 week after completion I was contacted by the local council who have informed me that there is a Council repair order on the property copies of which they have forwarded to me as a new owner.

After getting a quote all these repairs come to £8000. When I telephoned my solicitor I asked her if she ever send any standard questioneer or looked at the legal pack or taken any searches on the property. She said no because as far as she was concerned I was already commited to buy so there was no point.

This suerly cannot be right. Not even looking at the seller's legal pack. :mad:

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you informed the solicitor after you'd made the purchase, she's right.

A legal pack is only of use if read by a solicitor BEFORE the auction, so they could tell you what the small print says.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure