It's not just for Christmas

Options
Nada666
Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
Supermarket bosses have quietly axed up to a fifth of economy range items – despite boasting they are helping cash-strapped families

Comments

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they are they are probably doing Lidl and ALdi favours as they will gain market share?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Supermarket bosses have quietly axed up to a fifth of economy range items – despite boasting they are helping cash-strapped families

Can't say I've noticed anything essential which they've cut.

The article says bread but last time I looked economy white and brown bread is still available. The article says baby food but what parent would buy economy baby food for their little one. I can imagine a lack of demand withdrew that one. The article also says ready meals. Maybe because they taste awful and few people purchased them preferring to make a cheaper home cooked meal instead.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since the other supermarkets are doing the same then it seems more like those products are just not selling in any sort of quantity to make it worthwhile so they have dumped them. Hint - the supermarkets are businesses and not charities, they will not run things at a loss for altruistic purposes

Having once accidentally purchased 'value' bread I didn't think it was even fit to be given to ducks
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    As part of our work to make the shopping trip easier for customers, we have been !simplifying our range of products.

Are they trying to say their customers are thick?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    Clearly that is the view projected by Some Idiot from Tesco :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Too much choice does not always work well with non decisive people.
    My food shopping is quicker in the likes of Lidl over JS as less choice.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsbury's way of cutting their value items is, to my opinion, charging more than their competitors eg. Tesco, Asda etc.

Then they drop the product because they are not selling it anymore in any financial quantity.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options

They are only dropping their value items because they can't make a good enough profit margin on it.

Why sell something for 60p when you can sell your next up own brand label for 80p and have a better profit margin per item.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Can't say I've noticed anything essential which they've cut.

The article says bread but last time I looked economy white and brown bread is still available. The article says baby food but what parent would buy economy baby food for their little one. I can imagine a lack of demand withdrew that one. The article also says ready meals. Maybe because they taste awful and few people purchased them preferring to make a cheaper home cooked meal instead.

Why do you suggest that buying "economy baby food" is a bad thing? The price and brand don't always give indications of the quality of a product.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    djpailo wrote: »
    Why do you suggest that buying "economy baby food" is a bad thing? The price and brand don't always give indications of the quality of a product.
    Same with the adult meals - some have been found to be better than the premium varieties. A basic one may be pure meat and potatoes but the expensive ones ladle in cream and fillings displacing meat content.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure