Walking poles?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
4 replies 1K views
ktcoilktcoil Forumite
559 Posts
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
Hi guys

We enjoy a lot of walking now and are going more to Cumbria/Lake District and my partner said they are now after some hiking poles for a stocking filler for Christmas, I have seen many on Amazon starting at £5 for a walking stick type, £10 for a walking pole that looks a little like a stick and then there is the more pricey that are about £20 each and the bottom of the stick is pointed like a ski pole, which is good, my partner is only 26 so not old, will the cheaper type be good for hiking and going up hills/mountains etc?

thanks

Replies

• We got some £10 ones from Cotswold when we were doing the west highland way in Scotland

They definitely did the trick, and are super handy for climbing and helping put less pressure on the knees coming down.

BUT - if you want to be cheap cheap. . . I'd always found a stick at the start of a walk.

And in fact I still have a stick I found on a walk 10 years ago that I use from time to time

It has a good 'handle' and it's lighter than some of the walking poles you buy
  • ktcoilktcoil Forumite
    559 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Guys

Just looking at both of these poles,

Karrimor X Lite Carbon Walking Poles pack of two reduced from £59.99 to £23.00 at sports direct and Quenchua 1 forsclaz 550 pole from Decathlon reduced from £19.99 to £12.99 per pole so both would worth out about £24 ish.

thanks
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Karrimor ones are lighter so I'd go with those. £23 for a lightweight pair is cheap so they may not be the longest lasting poles but they'll be good to see if your partner gets on with using poles. They'll be fine for a few years and if you keep doing a lot of walking they could upgrade later on.

Hubby used to work in an outdoor shop and tells me that over the course of a full day hike poles can take a tonne of weight off your knees!

They make rough terrain easier as you don't have to put your hand out to steady yourself, as well as reducing impact on your knees.

Trick is to have them shorter going up uphill and longer going downhill. Standing still, your elbows should be at 90 degrees when holding the poles, so on the uphill the poles need to be shorter and on the downhill, longer.

I love my walking poles for hill-walking. :)
  • barbarawrightbarbarawright Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Why not buy them on your next trip to the Lakes. Every town has about a million outdoor shops and they all have sales all the times so you could test them out
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals