New laptop for 10 yr old who plays Minecraft?

Hello
I'd really appreciate some help with choosing a laptop for my son who has saved up £400 to buy himself a laptop. He will use it for Minecraft etc, web browsing and school work. Do I need one with a dedicated graphics card and how much memory and hard-drive should I look out for? I've been looking at Lenovo Z50 and G50 but am really at a loss to knowing which specs are and are not essential. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Katy

Replies

• I went through this dilema too last christmas. You need to make sure it has the best dedicated graphics card you can afford to run the 3d properly, not the integrated graphics which the vast majority of laptops have.

Youtube has a number of videos showing minecraft playing on a number if different laptops so you could try looking on there.

My kids ended up going for an ipad instead which runs it fine as an app but clearly is not as useful as a laptop, but luckily they can use the family desktop for homework etc..
    Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
    Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
    :starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
    :starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
    :starmod::A19/03/16
  • G50 would be fine but make sure it has the AMD Radeon™ R5 235 graphics. (Specs show two options, no idea if thats the good old lenovo dual graphics. Intel graphics used for battery and AMD used when on the mains or two seperate options)

Either way the G50 seems the better option. Also a quick google of "minecraft AMD Radeon™ R5 235" shows a few youtube videos that all seem pretty much lag free.

Anyways hope that helps!
  • edited 14 October 2015 at 3:32PM
    MaelwysMaelwys Forumite
    146 Posts
    edited 14 October 2015 at 3:32PM
    kookookaty wrote: »
    Hello
    I'd really appreciate some help with choosing a laptop for my son who has saved up £400 to buy himself a laptop. He will use it for Minecraft etc, web browsing and school work. Do I need one with a dedicated graphics card and how much memory and hard-drive should I look out for? I've been looking at Lenovo Z50 and G50 but am really at a loss to knowing which specs are and are not essential. Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Katy

If it's being used for light gaming, the minimum you should be looking for is Intel Integrated 5500 graphics (or the equivalent dedicated chip - the R5 M240 chip is roughly the same as a 5500 ) - these should run Minecraft just fine, though it'll sit somewhere between 25 and 50FPS depending on your detail settings.

Memory and Hard Drive space is largely irrelevant these days for office work and light gaming - as long as the machine has at least 2 cores you should be fine. Everything that's come out in the last few years should have a USB3.0 port on it. The only other thing to really consider is if he's going to want to use CDs/DVDs on it, since a lot of laptops no longer come with built-in optical drives.

Perhaps something like this (Quad Core HP Probook 455, 4GB RAM with 500MB drive. AMD R5 M240 chip. £352 but with £50 cashback) or this (Dual Core ASUS X555LA, 4GB Ram with 1Tb drive. Intel 5500 graphics. £320)

Alternatively, just go onto somewhere like dabs.com and do a search for Laptops with 5500 HD Graphics under £400 :)

Actually, looking at your specs, John Lewis has a deal on a Lenovo Z50 with 8GB Ram/1TB drive and a Radeon R6 chip at the moment that would tick all those boxes comfortably and set you back just £380 - see here . All things considered that'd probably be your best sub-£400 option for running Minecraft...

I should probably also warn you against being roped into paying extra for Antivirus or MS Office products etc. on a new PC. There are plenty of free alternatives! ;)
  • philatiophilatio Forumite
    670 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ^
    I disagree with this.
    Intel integrated graphics aren't good enough to run Minecraft decently.
    You do need one with a Radeon graphics card.
  • IlijaIlija Forumite
    154 Posts
    Go on youtube and copy the name of graphic card and type minecraft (Intel HD 4400 Minecraft or AMD R5 M240 Minecraft) and you will see if a game works or not. It usually says what kind of processor was used with selected graphic card.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum