PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Irish oldstylers- where do you shop?

Looking for some perspective from those of you that live in ROI. Which shop do you think is the cheapest for groceries? I used to think Aldi was the best value, however with the latest Dunnes €10 off €50 vouchers, I think they are coming close (although I suspect there is some false economy in those coupons) And whereas Aldi have cheaper tinned goods and condiments, Dunnes has a better selection of frozen foods and they are cheaper. Tesco are an absolute non runner for me, I'd only get a baskets worth of stuff forthe equivalent cost of a weeks shopping elsewhere :eek: Lidl are ok but still more expensive than Aldi.

So where do you shop and why? :)

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I mainly shop in Aldi, we have a good butcher's in the nearest village, good fruit/veg and separate fish shop in nearest town, odd visit to Lidl for their fresh bread. I dont use Tesco unless really stuck and beside one, dont find Dunnes particularly good value, the one nearest to us is not a good one anyway.

I dont shop every week now that there is only OH and me here most of the time its no longer necessary, there are just panic top ups when any, or all of our children visit.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Depends what we need and what's on special offer. We shop at Tesco, Aldi and Lidl, but only drop into Dunnes to check out the woopsies! Supervalue seems to be very expensive these days.
  • Only two of us in the house.

Mainly it's Lidl but in part because it's next door and I just walk around.

OH has a preference for somethings in Dunnes/tesco/supervalue such as spice burgers/pie (I've tried home made versions, he's just not buying it) So, I'll just go in and buy the couple of things. He will often buy a steak in there, to be honest he's the carnivore in the family, so I'll encourage him to get it.

I don't like the Dunnes vouchers, I think the aldi/lidl basics like tinned tomatoes are better and cheaper on the whole. You must use the voucher within x days, and you must spend 50 Euro or along those lines (unless they've changed it). With a family of 2, this is just too much for us and I found myself adding in more than I needed.

I sometimes get the lidl vouchers in the paper, maybe once every month or two and do a big stock up. You must spend 50 Euro, and you get 10 off. I think it's in the Sunday Indo. But my weekly shop is often less than the 50, so I'll fill the freezer those days.

I also keep an eye on the specials for fruit and veg. E.g. butternut squash is on special this week in Lidl, so I'll buy a few and they'll keep. Tesco/supervalu/dunnes all do a similar take 6, or 4 that are very cheap. Supervalu I can walk to from work, Dunnes were in and Tesco I pass on the way home.

I generally find supervalu very expensive, Tesco I just don't like the experience, Dunnes more expensive than Aldi/lidl, but not as bad as supervalu.

I always use the washing powder, decaf coffee and shower gel from Lidl and won't use others. I'm used to them, I like them I've sensitive skin and that's that. Bit of a preference by OH for the decaf tea by Lyons which is expensive, but the last box we realised that Aldi are an acceptable alternative. Love the choc from both Aldi and Lidl - no preference, once its 80%+ :)

OH only eats all bran for breakfast and it's quite expensive. It's goes on special from time to time, when ever that happens, I'll go to which ever shop and buy a good 4 boxes. I check out all of the shops for it every month or so.

Very little else we eat is pre-prepared. We don't eat sweets /biscuits /icecream /crisps /pizza /sauces/etc... Only tins I get really are tinned tomatoes and maybe beans for a very lazy day.

Caitriona on http://wholesomeireland.com has been sumarising the specials on each week which is helpful. The web site I find promotes things a lot which I don't like - product reviews. But the one page summary - saves looking up all the individual websites.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure