Job Descriptions

Options
Hi all, I am after a bit of advice.

This year I started a new job working for an educational establishment in a role which the job desctiption and interview described involving international travel to promote our institution at exhibitions as well as project management during which I would lead teams and deliver on outcomes. When applying for the role, I said I wanted the job so that I could add to my CV, be challenged and in 12-18 months time, be eligible to apply for a management role within my sector. I made this motivation explicitly clear.

Upon arriving at the new workplace having relocated across the country to take the job, it was revealed to me that in actual fact there was no budget for the international travel as described in the JD and interview. And to make things worse, there were no projects to lead on either.

For the last 9 months, instead of doing international travel and project management, I have been doing low level menial work which has had nothing to do with the role I thought I was arriving to do and in many cases, tasks that are more befitting of an intern. I've been 'loaned out' to other teams to do work for them rather than my own. I've gained nothing from this role and due to a lack of work to do, I have actually spent entire weeks doing nothing at all.

I have complained to the management many times and had many arguements with them. One thing that has come from the discussions is a clear lack of planning for my role. I've had to endure excuses such as 'we thought there'd be more to do when you got here' and 'perhaps we shouldn't have hired anyone into this role' which indicates that I was employed without any purpose and that everything I said in my interview was ignored.

I have now gotten another job and will be out of this situation soon but before I leave, I want to know where I stand with a couple of things.

Does anyone know a company's legal obligations when it comes to accurately describing a job? My contract does state that I will be required to do 'other duties' but when these other duties fill around 75% of your time, I think that takes it a little too far.

Another thing is the relocation expenses. I paid out to relocate for this job and because of the management's incompetance, I am now having to move again to obtain worthwhile employment. What rights do I have to claw some of these back given that I incurred costs for a job that effectively didn't exist? I'm also now incurring more costs of moving for my new job. Overall I reckon I'll be about £700+ out of pocket with original letting agent fees, new letting agent fees, removal costs as well as rent I'm liable for whilst my current apartment is re-let.

And also is there any scope to somehow legally hold this employer to account? I am so angry at the way I've been treated by this place, I really do feel I need to make a point before I leave as they genuinely think they've done nothing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    SELDNCraig wrote: »

Does anyone know a company's legal obligations when it comes to accurately describing a job? My contract does state that I will be required to do 'other duties' but when these other duties fill around 75% of your time, I think that takes it a little too far.
    There is no "trades description act" on jobs. The company has no legal obligation to provide an accurate job description - or any job description. But even if it had, you de facto accepted it by doing the job.

QUOTE=SELDNCraig;discussion/5331668]
    Another thing is the relocation expenses. I paid out to relocate for this job and because of the management's incompetance, I am now having to move again to obtain worthwhile employment. What rights do I have to claw some of these back given that I incurred costs for a job that effectively didn't exist?
    [/QUOTE]

None

QUOTE=SELDNCraig;discussion/5331668]
    And also is there any scope to somehow legally hold this employer to account? I am so angry at the way I've been treated by this place, I really do feel I need to make a point before I leave as they genuinely think they've done nothing wrong.
    [/QUOTE]

There is no scope. Legally speaking they are correct, they have done nothing wrong.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2015 at 9:19PM
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    There is no "trades description act" on jobs. The company has no legal obligation to provide an accurate job description - or any job description. But even if it had, you de facto accepted it by doing the job.

Written particulars of employment which employers are required to provide by statute include, "the title of the job which the employee is employed to do or a brief description of the work for which he is employed". That's not a full job description of course but it should provide some useful information.

Doesn't help the OP, I suppose, as long as what he is being required to do is completely at odds with what he has in writing (and later documents would replace initial job title).
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    There are some people who would really appreciate 9 months worth of work, especially in a company which sounds quite cushy and which gives you scope to exaggerate your experience a bit with prospective employers.

Just appreciate the fact that you aren't currently trekking it from Syria to Germany/England whilst earning £1 an hour in refugee camps. I don't think that they could sue anyone for "relocation costs" :rotfl:
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its happened to me many times and on some occasions my actual job has bore no relation to the original JD. The majority of the time this has been to my benefit so I haven't minded and I am odd in that I like and enjoy change.

One job was similar to the one you describe, it was advertised as a busy and challenging role but the was essentially a very basic & cushy admin job which all tasks could be completed in an hour if you dragged it out.

Despite having a slick website and directors who impressed at interview, it turns out the snr management team were muppets who couldn't organise the proverbial booze up in a brewery.
    I lasted 6 weeks and thankfully begged myself out of the 3 month notice period.
  • SELDNCraig
    Options
    What an absolute moron you are! I'm guessing you're going through every thread on this forum... "Yeah it's a shame you got ripped off by your builder but at least you're not trekking through Syria"... "That's sad to hear that you were overcharged by your energy company but hey, you're not a refugee from Syria."

Do you not think that I don't switch the news on every day and consider the plight of these people? Or that I don't sympathise with people who are unemployed? I have been unemployed before, even homeless for a brief spell about 6 years ago, I grew up in an impoverished household and have worked my backside off to get my career off the ground... I don't need idiots like you coming on here and trying to show me up when I ask for advice.

I have my own life though and having given up my friendships in a place where I was settled and other potentially fulfilling opportunities only to get screwed over and have your career held back is an emotionally draining experience. You're so smart - why not put yourself in the shoes of someone who has been in that position?

If you can't contribute constructively to the conversation, do everyone a favour and keep your sixth form view of the world to yourself.

To sangie595 and LittleVoice, thank you for your more productive comments. I appreciate the time taken to reply - It seems I'm just going to have to suck it up which is a real shame. If I'd known that the job would differ so much from the job description I'd never have accepted it.
  • daytona0
    edited 28 September 2015 at 11:04AM
    Options
    SELDNCraig wrote: »
    What an absolute moron you are! I'm guessing you're going through every thread on this forum... "Yeah it's a shame you got ripped off by your builder but at least you're not trekking through Syria"... "That's sad to hear that you were overcharged by your energy company but hey, you're not a refugee from Syria."

You know what lad, calling me a moron is really bad form.

Your examples (builder and energy) are more in the GENUINE LOSS category just like the Syrians. Your situation is more of a murky grey area where you haven't really lost much (you got your flat as paid for, and you earned a living as promised) aside from a bit of experience. EVEN THAT [experience] can be exaggerated with future employers, so if you use your brain then you likely haven't actually lost anything.
    Do you not think that I don't switch the news on every day and consider the plight of these people? Or that I don't sympathise with people who are unemployed? I have been unemployed before, even homeless for a brief spell about 6 years ago, I grew up in an impoverished household and have worked my backside off to get my career off the ground... I don't need idiots like you coming on here and trying to show me up when I ask for advice.

Idiots. Fair enough lad.

I have my own life though and having given up my friendships in a place where I was settled and other potentially fulfilling opportunities only to get screwed over and have your career held back is an emotionally draining experience. You're so smart - why not put yourself in the shoes of someone who has been in that position?

Haha who cares? I've just gone to Poland with the promise of work, giving up a job and spending almost £700 in the process, only to be told that there isn't enough work for me over there! You still want to talk to me about re-location costs? I'm not on here posting about how to re-claim that money because of two reasons:

1. I'm not legally entitled to it (and it mirrors your situation)

2. I planned for this possibility and have plenty of savings.

So top moaning! Of all the things which could happen to you this year, working in a "menial" job wouldn't be the worst!
    If you can't contribute constructively to the conversation, do everyone a favour and keep your sixth form view of the world to yourself.

I did offer constructive criticism, but you do not want to see it.... (notably about how you have the scope to blag some experience with future employers and also how you are well off compared to a lot of people in the world!)
  • shortcrust
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    There are some people who would really appreciate 9 months worth of work, especially in a company which sounds quite cushy and which gives you scope to exaggerate your experience a bit with prospective employers.

Just appreciate the fact that you aren't currently trekking it from Syria to Germany/England whilst earning £1 an hour in refugee camps. I don't think that they could sue anyone for "relocation costs" :rotfl:

This is so ridiculous I'm amazed it's been thanked. Don't moan because there are people less fortunate than you?! The OP hasn't responded with grace, but I completely understand why.
  • The_Pink_Scarf
    Options
    DKLS wrote: »
    Despite having a slick website and directors who impressed at interview, it turns out the snr management team were muppets who couldn't organise the proverbial booze up in a brewery.
    I lasted 6 weeks and thankfully begged myself out of the 3 month notice period.

Ah this sums up a situation for me regrettably.

Can I ask how did this go down with the next employer to be? with no customers I'm imagining this can't carry on and I'm just wondering how this goes down with the next job hunt, what with public records in the domain etc, it's been just over a month and I don't know if I'm better of honestly wishing for the P45 or whether weeks/months down the line, you're treated as some sort of thief or workshy if you admit to it being quiet, with knowingly not doing much, that's my concern :(

TPS
  • daytona0
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    This is so ridiculous I'm amazed it's been thanked. Don't moan because there are people less fortunate than you?! The OP hasn't responded with grace, but I completely understand why.

There is nothing ridiculous in using a real life example to demonstrate that OP is well off compared to a lot of people. The OP wasn't merely moaning (See my Poland moan for a true moan!), but asking for advice on how to claim money back!

Also, the first part of my post provided a gem of advice in the form of "exaggerate your experience a bit with prospective employers." - OP wants re-location costs due to the job description not matching and the piece of advice given would [to various extents] negate the whole issue!

Finally, the other users provided useful advice too (unlike your post I might add, which doesn't help OP) and so there was no need to cover any other ground.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah this sums up a situation for me regrettably.

Can I ask how did this go down with the next employer to be? with no customers I'm imagining this can't carry on and I'm just wondering how this goes down with the next job hunt, what with public records in the domain etc, it's been just over a month and I don't know if I'm better of honestly wishing for the P45 or whether weeks/months down the line, you're treated as some sort of thief or workshy if you admit to it being quiet, with knowingly not doing much, that's my concern :(

TPS

It wasn't an issue with the next employer, mainly as I didn't put them on my CV, once I realised I was never going to get any taxing work or do any work at all using my skills, I picked up a consultancy project and focused on getting out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it happens and any half decent HR bod will understand, if it ever raises itself as an issue, and I don't see why it should.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure