Dry socket

Hi has anyone had a dry socket after a tooth extraction tell me how long before it heals. I had a back tooth extracted last week the filling dropped out but it had broke a few months before it never caused any trouble or pain but I new it need sorted sooner rather than later. Dentist said it would be better out so I had it extracted last week. Everything was fine with extraction but 2 days later started with a bit of pain which got more intense each day until it became unbearable. Went back to dentist who said it was a dry socket and prescribed antibiotics for a week. It's been 10 days now since extraction and 2 since starting antibiotics but I can still see bone in the gum dentist did say I should feel better in a couple of days but this I think is the worst pain I've ever experienced

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You have my sympathy. I had dry socket despite following all the post-extractions instructions and it was horrendous. I barely slept for a week. I think mine lasted about 7-10 days from what I remember. Has your dentist packed the hole? I remember that did provide a bit of relief although I am not sure whether that is suitable for all cases. Have you also been to your doctor? My dentist suggested seeing my doctor to get painkillers. Luckily she had had dry socket herself and gave me a few days worth of strong painkillers. They didn't completely kill the pain, but allowed me to get some sleep.
  • goamike
    goamike Posts: 113 Forumite
    Its one of the worst pains going. I had it twice over the last two years.

dab a bit of clove oil on the effected part and it should help with the pain, but be careful with the clove oil, if you get it anywhere else you will be surprised how much it stings.
    Keep right on :T :beer:
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER dab clove oil anywhere near a dry socket. A dry socket is where a blood clot has not settled so there is exposed bone. Clove oil is highly caustic it will burn through gum, it will burn through bone and make things much worse. Throw any clove oil away it is dangerous , irritant stuff you should never use it in the mouth.
  • BlueEyedGirl
    BlueEyedGirl Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! I've been Money Tipped!
    Ouch poor you. Thankfully never had it, and since I have a major fear of dentists I hope I never do!
  • evangeline
    evangeline Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Had this twice. Second time lasted 10 days before I had to go back to dentist as I couldnt sleep/eat because of the pain. He rightly told me off for not coming back sooner. He packed it and saw me every day for several days until it healed.I do have a great dentist...and he's NHS.
  • Thankyou all for your replies thankfully now it has finally healed over after a couple of days of antibiotics the pain eased and the gum is now covering over nicely. Dentist said they can never tell if any patient will get this but only 2%of extraction patients get it so I suppose I was one of those unlucky ones , never thought I'd been in so much pain after going to dentist. Evangeline you do sound to have a good dentist seeing you everyday it's nice to know they care.
  • evangeline
    evangeline Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Scottygirl , glad to hear you are starting to feel better. Yes , very lucky with my dentist. He is Greek, as are all his colleagues in the practice.And also a great Dad.
  • Wow I lasted a day and went back to the dental hospital and the relief when they packed it was amazing. It instantly lessened. Not nice at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure