Gym facilities "Out of Order"

Options
Hi guys

not sure where to post this....

I joined the Sports Direct gym a month ago, I am trying to rehabilitate my knee after a bad injury and op. Along with my usual weight training. Anyway, the 2 leg machines my physio told me to use have been out of order since I have joined. There are alternative exercises I can do, but my physio prefers me using the machines as I need the stability as its still a bit weak. Also, one of the toilet cubicles has been out of order since I joined. Regarding the machines, they keep saying, "Yeah, they will be fixed in a cople of days", but nothing ever happens. I have emailed the manager, saying if they are not sorted, I will go back to the gym I used to be a member of (The Gym Group), where over the 2 years I was there, nothing was ever out of order, it was either fixed or replaced same day. The problem is I am in a years contract, is there a way to get out of a gym contract if they have so many things out of order? I cannot get what I need from the gym as it stands.

man, that was a long story..... :P

Thanks in advance

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    What did manager say?
    ally.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigmaz wrote: »
    Hi guys

not sure where to post this....

I joined the Sports Direct gym a month ago, I am trying to rehabilitate my knee after a bad injury and op. Along with my usual weight training. Anyway, the 2 leg machines my physio told me to use have been out of order since I have joined. There are alternative exercises I can do, but my physio prefers me using the machines as I need the stability as its still a bit weak. Also, one of the toilet cubicles has been out of order since I joined. Regarding the machines, they keep saying, "Yeah, they will be fixed in a cople of days", but nothing ever happens. I have emailed the manager, saying if they are not sorted, I will go back to the gym I used to be a member of (The Gym Group), where over the 2 years I was there, nothing was ever out of order, it was either fixed or replaced same day. The problem is I am in a years contract, is there a way to get out of a gym contract if they have so many things out of order? I cannot get what I need from the gym as it stands.

man, that was a long story..... :P

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if it would be enough to be a get-out-clause, especially as it would seem the cheaper the gym, the more aggressively they try to retain members IME.

You could try to look through the terms and conditions but it wont be easy to find a way through things as they've no doubt covered themselves in their own ambiguity.

Which leaves you with two options; either you fight your case, if for example the physio is liked to the gym at all, get them on your site when demanding to leave because they/you signed to a gym for a reason and the gym is not serving that purpose (may really only work if your physio is linked to the gym).

Or you can try to find the manager, in person and have a sit-down conversation with them. Don't leave the room until you have found a workable solution between the two of you. Explain your situation and why you signed to the gym and that the gym is not offering what you signed up for and could you please leave.

Make sure whatever you do, you keep notes, paperwork and dates/names etc to prevent misunderstandings and confusion.
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm at Fitness First and machines go out of order for weeks and weeks and weeks. Agree it's annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure