Charging a Rent a Roof scheme rent?!

Options
Hello,

I have recently bought a house with a ‘Rent a Roof’ solar panel array. It’s a 4kw system in the south west installed in 2012 so suspect that somebody is making a good return on their investment – we however will have to make the best use we can of the system…..

Through the conveyancing process we never received the lease having only received the signed lease recently. This was due to the original lease not having been signed by our vendors [original lease landlord] on installation and so was only provided by the tenant [solar panel company] on our completion. The lease is fine with the original term 20 years from 2012 etc.

Here’s the question: One section of the lease states “15.1 the landlord can charge the tenant an annual rent” - is this standard and has anyone ever taken a Rent a Roof scheme up on it?! I assume it is a necessary criteria for a lease to be legal to have the ability to charge rent but there are no other criteria, sections or guidance, so being a bit shrewd can I make representations to them?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport