The Great Hunt: Where can you get bargain food before closing, eg, sushi?

Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 22 September 2015 at 3:27PM in Food shopping & groceries
Where can you get bargain food before closing, eg, sushi?

Many know about ‘yellow sticker’ supermarket reductions where they slash prices late in the day, but they're not the only ones - eg, Japanese takeaway Itsu slashes sushi and salad boxes by 50% half an hour before closing (times vary by store).

We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge to find out which other stores & takeaways do this and when's the right time.
Please share yours below:

Comments

• tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been given cheap katsu curry at Wasabi close to closing. But I hasten to add that the breaded chicken was like cardboard, so wasn't worth the reduction.
  • Itsu and POD do 1/2 price 1/2hr before closing. Great for a cheap dinner
    Recently married and loving it x
  • sa2uk
    sa2uk Posts: 13 Forumite
    Abokado do 1/3 off sushi and salads from 5pm
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Never heard of any of the shops/takeaways mentioned in the above posts. Are they London only ?
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dlusman wrote: »
    Never heard of any of the shops/takeaways mentioned in the above posts. Are they London only ?

They're all city centre at the very least.
  • loranius
    loranius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Japan Centre in Piccadilly Circus London discounts sushi before closing. It's incremental, the closer to their closing time the higher the discount.

Harrods food hall has discount an hour before they close I believe. A lot of people flock there for 50% food!

Obviously, supermarkets do it too... :)
  • Market stalls selling fresh foods are definitely worth trying.

At my local Farmer's Market, the bread stall give atleast 50% off usual prices. or they throw in a whole load of freebies. whatever they feel like doing at the time in order to shift all their stock.

The regular fruit & veg stall starts reducing everything massively about 30 mins before closing, eg. 3 punnets of strawberries for £1.

Cake stall reduces everything to 30%, again about 30 mins before closing.
  • Waitrose reduce round about lunchtime and as it gets later in the day, the reductions become bigger. Near close you can get some fantastic reductions.
  • Boots are good for reducing their lunch sarnies, salads,etc., in the afternoon - usually 50p(ish) and includes sushi packs. Sunday is especially good.
  • supki
    supki Posts: 122 Forumite
    Tossed (the Salad Bar) reduce most of their salads to half price everyday after 3pm. hth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure