Xbox One

Options
Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.
I am planning buying an xbox one console / package for my son's birthday/christmas, and I am wondering if I need to purchase an extended warranty - what do others do or recommend?

I realise it comes with a standard 1 year manufacturer's warranty, but are there any better places to buy from incase of any problems with console?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• queenlizard45uk
    Options
    rcjm wrote: »
    Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.
    I am planning buying an xbox one console / package for my son's birthday/christmas, and I am wondering if I need to purchase an extended warranty - what do others do or recommend?

I realise it comes with a standard 1 year manufacturer's warranty, but are there any better places to buy from incase of any problems with console?

Thanks for any help

I used to work at Argos as they have a very good replacement cover for 3 years.
    I did buy it for my fianc!s xbox,but we never used it and its run out as its been 5 years!

It all depends on your son and money situation. Is your son going to be careful with this item and not heavy handed for at least 3 years? If hes likely to drop it, force games into the feeder, press buttons while its still loading - then maybe its worth taking out the extra cover. That way you will have piece of mind - anything goes wrong, you can take it to the shop and they'll give you a new console. (in argos, with replacement cover, this can be done as many times as you need in 3 years)

Also, the money for the cover can be spread out, by instalments or direct debit.

BUT, your son might be careful, nothing might go wrong in the 3 years either, just like mine.

Think about this - if it suddenly stopped working in 2 years time, what would you do?
    :wave:
  • bacono
    bacono Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say don't bother with extended warranty.

I've had the Xbox One since release day in 2013 and (touch wood) it's been fine. The major issues that the Xbox 360 had were to do with ventilation and overheating, and the Xbox One doesn't have those problems, thankfully. Just make sure it's not stuck in a cabinet, has room to 'breathe', dust it weekly and it'll be fine!

If the worst does happen then Microsoft customer service is top drawer. They're very good with repairs/replacements, mainly because of the experience they had with the awfully unreliable Xbox 360. I had three 360s, each repaired by MS with courier pick-up and delivery, and one of them was even out of warranty. But as I say, it's been plain sailing with the Xbox One.
  • rcjm
    rcjm Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies. We have decided against a seperate extended warranty, but gone with an xboxone from JL, which comes with 2year waarranty.
  • bacono
    bacono Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Good stuff, extra bit of peace of mind with John Lewis too. Happy gaming!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure