Joining avon, is it a good idea?

Options
So today I saw the Avon reps in my town, and the posters of 'I earn £400 every 3 weeks!'. Now I am very much aware this is the very top end of the scale, but I was wondering if it was really worth it?

I already work 37hrs a week, but the extra income would be good...What are the pros and cons? It seems too good to be true...but even £20 extra a week would be good right now!

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3435527&highlight=avon

Have a look at the Avon thread - i think it depends on your situation. I don't know anyone to sell Avon for instance :P
    ally.
  • cherylsurrey
    Options
    I did it years ago when I was 20 in an affluent area, and made no money, and these days you can buy from Avon direct on their website, which is what I occasionally do as I like their skin so soft products. I know ordering on the website means I pay for delivery, but I prefer it as I can get the products next day.

We occasionally have people try selling it dropping catalogues to the house, but they don't last long. I would think the only way to make money from it is if you have a large circle of friends or work in a large company and can get everyone there to order from you.
  • jason909
    Options
    waste of time, energy and money.

Don't bother.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    That figure is massively hyped. I did it for almost 10 years, from 2000-2009. A more accurate figure would be £20 every 3 weeks! Maybe £40 if you don't buy anything yourself.

It's become a pyramid scheme now, it's all about getting downliners. That's the only way anyone could hope to get anywhere near that figure. Avoid it like the plague, no-one lasts 5 minutes even if you could find someone to sign up. You can be sure that all the good territory is taken by the 'old dogs' and the newbies will quickly struggle as much as you will- so they won't last.

You earn 20p in every £1 you sell, roughly. Then you have to buy the brochures, the bags to put stuff in and that's before you've paid for petrol, business insurance, 'demonstration' products, printer ink etc etc. You will lose tonnes of brochures as soon as you put them through someone's door as they don't understand that you have to recycle them around your customers, then others will leave them out in the rain to get sodden etc etc.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Fallen-Angel
    Options
    I did Avon a few years back and ended up owing them money after my first catalogue because no one was interested as everyone knew someone who was one and a few who actually bought from me changed their mind by the time the order arrived...then I had a whole host of new catalogues, order forms, bags etc to fork out for. I dropped it after that.

I'm with a different DS company but because I love the products so like the extra in my pocket rather than someone else's ;) I have a few customers so it is a nice bit of hobby money for me (I treat it as such too).

If you like the products and think you can sell them then you might do well, as long as you know there is a chance you won't make anything (but also a chance you will do amazingly.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure