How long it takes you to learn swim?

Options

Comments

• wendy1201
    Options
    Learn with a float under your stomach then gradually take it away. It's the floating that's the main difficulty.

My mum and a friend taught me how to swim years ago, but took some getting

I am a afraid when the float is taken away...but I know I have to try it. Thank you #dawyldthing!
  • wendy1201
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    I can't comment on the learning to swim part as I am able to swim but I can comment on lessons.

I've never been a strong swimmer and don't like being out of my depth so after a scary experience of being out on open water on holiday I decided to take the plunge and have some lessons to improve my swimming. I got some advice on my technique and it has improved but the teacher quickly recognised that it was more a confidence thing for me so we worked on that. I was terrified of putting my head under the water but we worked on this and at the end of my 10 week course I was diving down to pick things up off the bottom of the pool (not in the deep end mind you!) and swimming with my head under with goggles. She was quite harsh with me and I was a bit scared of her but this is what I needed, it was a huge achievement for me.

So the point of my message is to perhaps work on the confidence side for a while rather than concentrating on the actual swimming? There was a non swimmer on my course and he really struggled as he wasn't confident to take his foot off the ground. I think he gave up in the end which was a real shame.

I would thoroughly recommend confidence lessons for anyone who is nervous, it has been the making of me swimming wise.

I really appreciate your advice! I think the most important reason is that I do lack of confidence...Thank you, Lady Bee!:T
  • wendy1201
    Options
    I learnt when I was younger but it took a long while and a lot of patience of others as I kept wanting to give in. See if a friend will go swimming to help as I know on holiday I helped a friend learn how to swim a bit (she was going to have lessons during the holidays but not sure if she has)

I wish I could help my friend to learn swimming...but I am a learner now. Most of my friends (girls ) cannot swim but also want to learn.
  • wendy1201
    Options
    I've taught it. It's easy. To short-cut the system, don't try to learn to swim at all. What you need to do is to learn to float. A lot of swimming is about confidence - and the fear is that you will sink. So learn to float instead first. You're only concentrating on one part - and you don't look like a plonker when you're trying/learning to do that!

Then .... build up to swimming by moving your arms/legs a bit more and a bit more until you're going quite far/fast. Then turn over and try the front strokes for a bit, before rolling back onto your back for another float.

Most people aren't trying to learn to swim to get anywhere.... they simply want to be able to not sink.

I wish you are my teacher...:D
  • wendy1201
    Options
    I'll echo what has been said above. Once you learn to float, the rest will just follow on naturally.

It's a lot easier in salt water, by-the-way, although salt water pools are few and far between.

Ok float!

Salt water pools? Never heard of before...
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,333 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've taught it. It's easy. To short-cut the system, don't try to learn to swim at all. What you need to do is to learn to float.

I would agree with that - I would not claim to even vaguely a good swimmer (not fast, efficient or elegant), but I am happy that I am not going to sink or drown.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • busiscoming2
    Options
    I learnt to swim in my mid thirties. I was terrified of drowning and hated water on my face. After the ten lessons I could float, stick my head in the water and swim. The only problem is I am still very scared but I can have water on my face now :)

OP - Have you tried a different instructor maybe in another Pool?
  • wendy1201
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I would agree with that - I would not claim to even vaguely a good swimmer (not fast, efficient or elegant), but I am happy that I am not going to sink or drown.
    Yeh, that's good enough.
  • wendy1201
    Options
    I learnt to swim in my mid thirties. I was terrified of drowning and hated water on my face. After the ten lessons I could float, stick my head in the water and swim. The only problem is I am still very scared but I can have water on my face now :)

OP - Have you tried a different instructor maybe in another Pool?
    Wow, you could stick your head in the water...I don't know whether I should change my instructor, I think he is good, ,maybe it is my own problem.
  • susieq87
    Options
    i struggled to learn when i was taking lessons and i had a fantastic teacher because of my fear for drowning. i got to the stage of swimming without a float as long as he was in the water close by. once he moved away further back and i couldn't see him underwater and i panicked and just sank.
    i think i was seeing him twice or thrice a week and we made some progress, confidence was the main problem.
    Don't sweat the small stuff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport