Overpayment

Options
Hi
I have an as and when job driving for a bank. Started in October 2014 and have worked between now and then a total of 33 days.
In month one, I received payment of £100 for 5 days. Month 2 I received payment of £3000, month 3 a payment of £1500.
Payroll and employer notified of error immediately and nothing done. Every month, emailed, lettered, face to face, telephone calls and nothing.
2 weeks ago went in and went through the details and was to be sorted last week and heard nothing.
Error made as paying as a f/t employee.
Anyhow, I have over £4500 of which I reckon I owe them about £3000.
How much longer do I wait as I have the money held in a separate account unable to touch the money.
If I have tried multiple times then surely there comes a point in time when I can keep it??
By the way, never had a contract, terms of employment or any correspondence from HR on any level.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Herbiedax wrote: »
    How much longer do I wait as I have the money held in a separate account unable to touch the money.
    Hope it's high interest ...
    Herbiedax wrote: »
    If I have tried multiple times then surely there comes a point in time when I can keep it??
    It would be years rather than months ...

Not sure what to suggest. Raise a grievance?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Hope it's high interest ...

It would be years rather than months ...

Six years to be precise (five in Scotland)!

Even then you would still technically owe the money but there would be no legal means of forcing you to pay. Even then it could still have a negative impact on your credit score.
  • DandelionPatrol
    Options
    Six years to be precise (five in Scotland)!

Even then you would still technically owe the money but there would be no legal means of forcing you to pay. Even then it could still have a negative impact on your credit score.
    As a non credit debt, it would not feature on a credit report unless there were a CCJ. There will not be a CCJ if the debt runs longer than the 6 years.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it were me I would say nothing more and just leave the money in the account until they ask for it. If they never do then good for you. You've done all you can and shouldn't be taking more of your time to sort it.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a paper trail confirming your situation then draw a line under chasing them.
    Sit on it and do nothing.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Herbiedax
    Herbiedax Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.
    Yes, the course of action now is to do nothing. I do have a paper trail so feel I can do no more.
    Glad I don't bank with them, if they can't sort out one simple payroll error in 10 months!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    So are they now paying you correctly? It's possible they think they've sorted it now, and have just failed to deal with the historic issues.

I might try one final letter to HR, perhaps cc the accounts dept / head of internal finance / see if you can find an appropriate title. If the finance dept realise you owe them money, they may take it more seriously than HR. :wink:

It would probably be worth trying to sort it out in the same tax year as the error occurred.
  • Herbiedax
    Herbiedax Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    No,
    Nothing sorted. Have received no pay as not worked since June. The director of HR was involved 3 weeks ago and still waiting to hear.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    Well, given that it's August I'd give them a little longer: people may have been on holiday.

However I still think involving the accounts dept may be useful. If they think an overpayment has been made, they are more likely to care about getting it back, IMO.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    You need to get it sorted as it could affect your tax code, could affect your benefits, any pension payments etc. This means that your P60 at the end of the year is wrong (if they even did one for you).
    It might be worth contacting the tax office and asking for their help, explain you want to ensure the correct amount of tax is paid and that you get a correct P60 and a P45 when the time comes.
    The alternative, of course is to wait and see what the latest person you've contacted comes up with and in the meantime just be glad you are getting a tiny bit of interest on the money.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business