Post whiskey to Canada

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
11 replies 1.6K views
jellynosejellynose Forumite
475 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi

I tired to post a little gift set of miniature whiskey to Canada via Royal Mail but they said that it was a prohibited item to post.

Does anyone know of any alternative methods of posting this gift to Canada?

Thanks
Jellynose

Replies

• Use fedex or another courier.
  • saverbuyer wrote: »
    Use fedex or another courier.

Thanks, I assumed that they had the same rules as Royal Mail, doh.

Will give them a go :beer:
    Jellynose
  • jellynose wrote: »
    Thanks, I assumed that they had the same rules as Royal Mail, doh.

Will give them a go :beer:

Don't think so. I've shipped chemicals with fedex and DHL before. Granted that's with a business account but I'm sure there's a way.
  • saverbuyer wrote: »
    Don't think so. I've shipped chemicals with fedex and DHL before. Granted that's with a business account but I'm sure there's a way.

Thinking about it now, it must be possible, otherwise how else does all of the stuff available in the shops get there.

I have just had a face/palm moment :rotfl:
    Jellynose
  • I'm not sure you will have much luck - something to do with liquor laws - legally I think you can't even bring alcohol between provinces within Canada - something to do with old prohibition laws.
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jellynose wrote: »
    Thinking about it now, it must be possible, otherwise how else does all of the stuff available in the shops get there.

I have just had a face/palm moment :rotfl:

Because they will have a special licence to export.

In For A Penny, there was no Prohibition in Canada only the US. The bookleggers used to buy in Canada and get across into the US.

Interesting fact: Even today any perfume in the US uses a different alcohol base. Its from prohibition as the base of French perfume was vodka based.
  • donnac2558 wrote: »

In For A Penny, there was no Prohibition in Canada only the US. The bookleggers used to buy in Canada and get across into the US.

Pretty sure there was - I remember reading about it when visiting some breweries in BC. I think it was largely introduced as a war time measure but lasted through most of the 20's in a lot of provinces and lingered in some places as late as 1950.
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Royal Mail say:

Alcoholic Beverages
    The importation of alcoholic beverages (including wine) to Canada is strictly prohibited unless being mailed to a Provincial Liquor Board or Commission, or to a manufacturer or distributor of such beverages in Canada.
  • edited 31 August 2015 at 10:02AM
    qwert_yuiopqwert_yuiop Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 August 2015 at 10:02AM
    Pretty sure there was - I remember reading about it when visiting some breweries in BC. I think it was largely introduced as a war time measure but lasted through most of the 20's in a lot of provinces and lingered in some places as late as 1950.

Correct. There was national prohibition briefly towards the end of the First World War, but local ordinances forbade it in some areas until much later. Prince Edward Island had no alcohol until the 1940s. I learnt that from being made to read anne of green gables at primary school, which should have been Prohibited.

Quebec is quite interesting. Their French origins seem to mean they haven't got the same hang ups about satan's buttermilk (copyright ian Paisley) that we have. You can go to a chip van in Montreal and have a wee brandy with your hamburgeois and frites.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chapter 5 of the link.

http://www.1920-30.com/prohibition/

Alcohol was smuggled from Canada into the US

Some Canada States were classed as dry, but no country wide prohibition. Same as in Wales up until resent years some counties were dry for religious reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals