PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Banana skins splitting open themselves

I bought 3 bunches of bananas with my shopping on wednesday evening and they were in perfect condition when I unbagged them and put them in my fruit bowl. However, I got up this morning to discover that 7 of them (not all from the same bunch) have inexplicably split down the length of their skins :eek: Why did this happen and how can I prevent it in future? Oh, and what am I going to do with a surplus of opened bananas? We've gotten rid of 3 at breakfast but what will I do witg the other 4? I don't like banana bread :(

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    No idea why they have split, but they don't need to go to waste. Peel, put in the freezer in a plastic bag. Use in smoothies, whizz up with a hand blender to make delicious fat-free ice cream. I freeze all bananas which are starting to go a bit spotty as I don't like banana bread either.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Hi -I worked in a kitchen years ago and if the bananas went warm to cool say overnight overnight and then warmed up the next day, like if we moved them into the cooler part of the kitchen overnight they would split open the next morning on the breakfast bar. So I think its related to changing temperatures. But that's just what I have noticed.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Recipe idea for using up split bananas.

Banana and pineapple crumble.

Put equal amounts of banana slices and pineapple chunks (I get whole pineapples at the F&V market stall and get DH to cut them up) as the fruit layer.
    Put your usual crumble mix on top and bake as usual.

YUM!!!!!:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You could freeze them - chop them up, open freeze them on a baking tray (just until they get hard) and then bag them up, they're great in smoothies or if you blend them up, they make 'ice cream', there's loads of recipes online. Or you can chop them in half, stick a lolly stick in, dip them in chocolate and sprinkles/nuts and then freeze them.
  • Shereen
    Shereen Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I add white chocolate chips and vanilla extract to this Nigella recipe: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-banana-muffins-5158 Workmates didn't believe me there were bananas in it.
  • I've had this happen quite a lot this year too but if I don't want to use a whole banana, I just wrap what's left (minus the peel) in cling film and pop it in the fridge for the next day .I've never had to keep for longer than that as we love them so they get eaten quickly, but they have been ok for me
  • Just that the banana is over ripened. It may be due to the temperature or the exposure to light. :money:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Kimberz wrote: »
    Just that the banana is over ripened. It may be due to the temperature or the exposure to light. :money:

Strange first post, dig up an old thread which is three and a half years old. Might be useful to somebody I suppose.
    :money:

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ilona wrote: »
    Strange first post, dig up an old thread which is three and a half years old. Might be useful to somebody I suppose.
    :money:

ilona
    Good spot! Also it was a high summer post, and today much of the UK is freezing it's nuts off :D

Mind you, by now all 3 bunches would have thoroughly putrefied :eek:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Actually I learned something new from this, because this happens all the time in work. Once they split they generally then turn mushy overnight. It never happens with my supermarket ones, only those in work. However, the ones I buy arent in plastic, and work's are!
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport