Funeral arrangements with no family

Sorry to be a downer but I couldn't find a forum that catered for my question. Nor could I find anything online. Maybe a bit taboo.

I'm in my early forties, married but without children. As my father died last year I guess funerals are on my mind and I wondered how you go about arranging your own funeral if you have no surviving family to take care of your wishes?

Any information would be very welcome.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Having watched way too many Heirhunters' episodes... have you thought of using your time to get into family history and track down those lost relatives ..... you never know, you might like one of them and become friends. Then at least you know who'll be running the show.
  • Thanks for the advice but they're all older than me so they probably won't be around when I go.:sad
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lancshiker wrote: »
    I wondered how you go about arranging your own funeral if you have no surviving family to take care of your wishes?

You could buy a funeral plan but you're a bit young for that.

You could plan what you what like and leave the instructions with your will so that your executor would know what to do.
  • Thank you very much for replying. I guess my worry is that I won't have an executor. But I wondered if I could use my solicitor. Not sure if anyone has any experience of this in their own plans.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you very much for replying. I guess my worry is that I won't have an executor. But I wondered if I could use my solicitor. Not sure if anyone has any experience of this in their own plans.

Normally, the advice is not to use a solicitor because of the cost but, if you don't family or friends who can do the job, a solicitor can be a good choice.
  • Thank you. It's good to have as a fall back.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the advice but they're all older than me so they probably won't be around when I go.:sad

Not if you go back far enough, then across and down.

Where are your parents' siblings' families?
    And your grandparents'?
    And your great grandparents?

You might have hundreds!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Presumably , as you are married, your husband would deal with things if he was still alive.

Do you have anyone you could ask to be executor and handle your affairs- close friend, local minister, lawyer or any other friend.

A family friend who had no relatives had her minister and her next door neighbour as her executors.

They should be aware of where your will etc are held. Your will should give details of your wishes re burial/ cremation etc as well as what is to happen to your estate.

Who would be next of kin if your were in hospital? Would that person be suitable to deal with your affaits?

Failing all these you could use the solicitors who draw up your will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport