Painter and decorator

edited 24 August 2015 at 6:13PM in N. Ireland
2 replies 1.1K views
Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
4.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
✭✭✭✭
edited 24 August 2015 at 6:13PM in N. Ireland
I need a hall stairs and landing and bathroom decorated .One wall in hall to be stripped and papered ,everything else painted .All woodwork including 8 doors .

I phoned the man who had been decorating my house for years .He has now retired .
I phoned another man I found advertised on the phonebook .
He came to view the job and can start Monday,he said he will phone me with a price .
Why not just tell me the price there and then .

He sent me a text the price including the paint £1200 .:rotfl::rotfl: Now bearing in mind I had a full house (3 bed semi) decorated two years ago for £900 including paint .

Got another price tonight £80 per day ,plus materials and 2 to 3 days
"Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"

Replies

• SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £80 per day sounds about right. Make sure he gets a wiggle on and gets it done in the two days rather than three, or at least doesn't charge for a full day if he gets finished by midday on the third day.
  • MilkoMilko Forumite
    658 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    £80/day sounds like a cash in hand guy, probably no insurance, good diy'er at best etc... but depends on what you want / need done.
    That said, it's pretty hard to provide constructive opinions without knowing the full scope of works. My decorators are £120/day, paint is priced at £6/m (3 coats), gloss is dearer & wall paper is usally £17/roll, works include stainblock where necessary, everything gets masked, dust sheeted, tidied & left to a professional finish. That's why these guys are fully booked for weeks in advance & do all the prestigious work around ;)
    Paint prices vary greatly too, just try pricing Dulux against B&Q own brand for example
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals