Preparing for the biggest move of our life

Options

Comments

• bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't get my leek & potato soup done, but will be doing it whilst I cook our main tea tonight, its only an extra saucepan might aswell get it done.

We went for a long stroll in a path at the edge of the forest. I wasn't confident taking Mr T deep in the forest as he is so fearless and super friendly, he approaches all dogs. Walking at the edge limited the contact to about 4 different dogs over the course of an hour. He didn't learn he still jumped at each dog to say hello as most were 3/4 times his size! With one I had a chat with the man, his dog was 11 months and after a few minutes to my surprise Mr T did actually sit, and the mans dog took his turn at getting hyper. Anyway, he recommended a puppy class that his pup went too and told me about sunday walks that are arranged with the group. I think this could be a great help with Mr T, ie he might learn some manners when saying hello!

I had a look at some dog friendly caravan parks along the south coast. For Monday - Friday in August, so 5 days 4 nights - cheapest I found was £550! I was flabbergasted. I cant justify £110 per day when I know if we have a wet week DD will be bored to tears.

So I've decided to try and save £500 towards the summer holidays ie the full 6 weeks. My actual 2 weeks off (at different times in August) we will save the big trips such as theme park & London for as they are tiring and we usually take a day or two to recover! Then other usual things, cinema, fruit picking, swimming etc in between the 'big events'

I might buy a couple of open dated tickets for some events as and when I have the money saved, then it will just be a matter of filling out our calendar when the holidays arrive.

Tacos for tea tonight haven't had them in ages!
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello bellevie, it's so lovely to hear about the sunshine Mr T has brought to both you and your DD.

The dog friendly parks are far too expensive. That's a terrible price.

It's nice to be planning for summer in this freezing weather! Roll on warmer days.

MTx
  • bellevie
    Options
    Its been quite some week.

The person I work alongside is.....well just driving me mad!

I was hesitant to bring this up with my manager as they are almost related.
    Strings were pulled to get her the job despite completely flunking the interview process. It was stroke of luck, and I guess maybe a technicality rather than strings being pulled.

Anyway, how she got the job and their connection it made me nervous to speak up.

My manager asked me something today, and when I agreed she opened up a little more - it turns out I'm not the only one feeling a little frustrated.

It was quite a relief, and I'm hoping our conversation will mean its nipped in the bud, the sooner the better.

On the plus side.....its the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyy...................................

I truly couldn't wait, because I would just like to STOP for a few hours, have a nice chilled wake up tomorrow, drink tea, have breakfast, a nice winter walk and just .................breathe.

And also because it means payday is getting closer! I am truly behind at the minute, the unplanned vets visits threw me out of sync with my budgets, and when my car insurance comes out on Monday I will have a grand total of £9 in my bank :(

It hasn't been that low in a long time and its making me feel very jittery.

I don't need anything, other than bread so I will take the money from my change jar.

DD's only wobbly tooth still hasn't come out and I thought knowing me it will come out before Wednesday and I would be completely stuck without my little jar of change. I don't have any £'s in there but could make up a £ with silver- which I hope is still acceptable!

I have a 10% voucher to use on Mr T's food that he will run out of before I am paid. So I've decided I will order the large bag of food to last the month (well longer I hope!) on my credit card and pay it back next week. That way, I'll get his food, get a discount and not have to think about it for a while longer!

Nothing else to report really, I am still enjoying work despite the little issues which I think can be resolved.
    I had some encouraging words from members of another team about a potential job coming up in the next couple of months which has given me food for thought.

No plans for the weekend other than the usual housework....needs must!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Options
    Nice day today.

We went for a walk in the forest, Im always amazed that its on my doorstep.

I've only managed one load of washing as I went back to bed after an early start and then we were out most of the afternoon. Still, Im sure I can get a couple more loads in before bed!

I tried out a polish recipe that came up when I asked my phone for ideas - I didn't have all the ingredients so substituted for things I did have and DD LOVED it - as did I actually! I also made a plain cake which was a nice afternoon treat after our trek.

I had a quote through from AA for car insurance - I didn't ask for it I think as I have my car break down cover they pick up these details. Anyway its ALOT more than this year, and I don't understand how with 9 years no claims!

So I will have a little browse tonight see what's others come up with.

I managed to hold back from going to the shop, I made a veg soup for lunch with extra potato in to fill us up.

We have enough soup left over for one and enough spag bol left over for one so we will have different lunches tomorrow!

I'm trying consciously to be a little more frugal, I don't want another month like this one!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Options
    A lot more done today, Im ploughing through the washing, though I have to stop now as the tumble driers on, every radiator in the house is full as is the clothes horse! Its bed washing weekend which is usually fine as long as I get some clothes washed in the week....which I clearly didn't manage this week!

I did end up having to go to the shop as I run out of bin bags and it occurred to me I'd need bread for lunches before payday. I did stick to that as I had to rain my coin box to pay for it!

DD treated herself to a magazine - using her own spending money from Christmas.

3 more sleeps until payday!!! My rent comes out on the same day so that's out the way. I don't think I will manage to put away as much as I had hoped because this month was so tight, still some is better than none, and as each month goes by budget should straighten out.

I've fallen behind on YNAB so need to sort that out today, my issue is I replaced my phone for a windows phone and I they don't do an app for windows, well I think there is an unofficial one but its read only from what I gather.

DD was over the moon to wake up to a dusting of snow, of course no where near enough to make a snowman and it melted pretty quickly - much to my delight!
    Im not a fan of snow, its fine if it melts quickly but its the repeated icing over that I cant handle, it seriously makes me very anxious.
    I think it dates back to when DD was a baby, I had a 17 mile drive to work and lived on a hill. One bad year, maybe 2009/2010 it was horrid there was no chance of getting the car out and I couldn't even get to the train station as her pram would just slide backwards down the hill. Its always stuck with me as I was taking too much time unpaid for her sickness my stress levels rocketed for fear of taking more time unpaid off work.
    Clearly I'm not in the same position now, but I cant shake that sinking feeling if DD is ill, or snow is mentioned on the weather forecast!

I think I will try and pick up the food shop from Lidl on my lunch break on Wednesday. I have enough meat & fish in the freezer so just planning on veg & fruit.

If I can do a couple of small shops it will make up for the vet fees and hopefully straighten my budget out sooner.

Off to make myself a coffee, I've had endless cups of tea today trying to stay warm. Heatings is on, curtains closed, tumble dryer on and Im still in my coat with ice cold hands :(
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Options
    second post in one day - too much time on my hands!

I keep going in waves of feeling optimistic about owning my own home then full of despair that it will never happen.

This past week has been the latter. I've been looking to see how far I should move out to get something I can afford but still keep my job - I really do love it and I know long term there are prospects that would allow me to earn more but still be there for DD.

Anyway looking on help to buy about the special isa they are bringing out, it mentioned help to buy equity loan. I have known about this but I've really paid more attention to shared ownership. This weekend I realised even that would be unaffordable unless a resale comes up at the right with lower rent than the newbuilds have now.

Any way, I worked out that on the higher salary of the team Im working to get into, along with the equity loan I could around this area get a 2 bed flat!
    If I move a little further out, say 30 minute drive to work, it could be a 2 bed ground floor maisonette with a garden, and further out than that 2 bed house!

I could only go for the furthest option if I was prepared to look for another job once settled, for now I'm happy but who's to say how I will feel by the time I have the deposit saved!

Im also planning to switch my ISA to the help to buy ISA to get the extra £50 per £200, it could help my deposit go quite a bit further.

After a self doubting couple of weeks Im starting to feel a little more positive :)
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you've got the right idea in saving for when the time comes. Hopefully, by then you'll find you have more options. The help to buy ISA sounds like a good plan too.

Good luck with all your washing this weekend. I was away yesterday so had to catch up on all of my washing today. I've also got clothes and damp laundry all over the place!

Have a lovely week. MTxx
  • Rebecca01
    Options
    bellevie wrote: »
    second post in one day - too much time on my hands!

I keep going in waves of feeling optimistic about owning my own home then full of despair that it will never happen.

Right there with you but come on we can do this.
    Who knows what will be on the market by the time we have saved.
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, keep plugging away at it and who knows. Hope you don't get any more snow, I hate it too.
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • bellevie
    Options
    That's true Rebecca, I am hoping for small dip right around the time I'm ready to buy :D

It's a long target, just need to have a little more patience.

I know though my 3/4 year plan does work, DD will be close to not needing full time childcare so I will save £300-400 a month which will help a massive amount for the last stretch of my savings or for the first year in our new home.

Already I've been comparing the amount i'd be looking to spend would reduce my current outgoings by £200 a month, plus my childcare savings when the time comes, life *should* get easier in financial terms.

I've heard again today that they are reviewing the department I helped out in (it was only reviewed a while back) and are seriously considering increasing the head count because of increased work load in other departments. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. I know a lot of people will apply, but I hope having hands on recent experience will help me in my interview.

My friend today recommended a couple of independent parks around Devon that may come up cheaper than I found previously, if not I'm considering doing a long weekend instead of a week so we at least feel like we have had time away. I'm going to have a browse and see whats doable without affecting our savings.

I done a quick search on car insurance. I will absolutely change this year, I've seen a lot £20 per month cheaper than I'm on! That difference will cover Mr T's pet insurance!

Right off to look at these parks that have been recommended then I think an early night for me.
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income