Tesco Reviews

Options
I have had poor experiences with buying online from Tescos - but they still invite a review of the purchase.

The funny thing is, that when they get the adverse review - perfectly well written and not at all shouty or rude - they decline to publish it.

Apparently, it does not meet the website guidelines. I wonder what could possibly be wrong. Could it be (gasp) that they are only willing to publish reviews that compliment them?
Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 August 2015 at 2:21AM
    Options
    Tesco once sent me the wrong item (batteries on click and collect, received lower MaH than ordered so effectively had I kept them, I'd have been getting less for my money.) I simply stated that I was sent the wrong capacity of battery and they rejected it!

I had the same with Wilkos. They invited me to resubmit and when I tried, it just refused to let me saying that I'd already reviewed the product.

Asda are the best I've seen for their review system. Only had one rejected I think and I understood why when I later had a look at the guidelines (direct reference to price.)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the same issue when I tried to report an honest review of a product I'd bought in John Lewis/Waitrose not just once, but twice! I was emailed to ask to review the product so I assumed they wanted my opinion, then was emailed back to effectively say they didn't want my review.

I wonder if MSE should start a new thread up on naming and shaming the product and store in question and let everyone see honest reviews not cherry-picked reviews.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    James_N wrote: »
    I have had poor experiences with buying online from Tescos

The funny thing is...

You still keep buying from them...:eek:
  • James_N
    James_N Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    You still keep buying from them...:eek:
    Well I suppose TWICE counts as multiple times, yes. Once maybe bad luck, twice the beginning of a trend.
    What is funny is that you've nothing sensible to contribute ...
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    James_N wrote: »
    I have had poor experiences with buying online from Tescos - but they still invite a review of the purchase.

The funny thing is, that when they get the adverse review - perfectly well written and not at all shouty or rude - they decline to publish it.

Apparently, it does not meet the website guidelines. I wonder what could possibly be wrong. Could it be (gasp) that they are only willing to publish reviews that compliment them?

Interested to read that. We signed up to a scheme they call 'The Orchard' - mainly for the vouchers they send encouraging you to try things.

Gave it up in the end, though, because of the constant badgering by Tesco to 'encourage' you to leave positive reviews on social media and indeed all over the place, including their website.

Fair enough, but what really galled me was the heavy censorship of the reviews left on the Tesco website - anything vaguely negative (even in a positive review) 'didn't meet the criteria' and didn't get published.

I now treat all Tesco reviews as suspect, and it does Tesco no credit at all to be doctoring things like this. Amazon doesn't see the need to do it, and the fact that Tesco does makes me deeply suspicious of the way it operates - possibly one of the reasons they've lost so many customers.
  • jenniewb
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Interested to read that. We signed up to a scheme they call 'The Orchard' - mainly for the vouchers they send encouraging you to try things.

Gave it up in the end, though, because of the constant badgering by Tesco to 'encourage' you to leave positive reviews on social media and indeed all over the place, including their website.

Fair enough, but what really galled me was the heavy censorship of the reviews left on the Tesco website - anything vaguely negative (even in a positive review) 'didn't meet the criteria' and didn't get published.

I now treat all Tesco reviews as suspect, and it does Tesco no credit at all to be doctoring things like this. Amazon doesn't see the need to do it, and the fact that Tesco does makes me deeply suspicious of the way it operates - possibly one of the reasons they've lost so many customers.

They're far from alone. John Lewis are at it aswell and have already emailed me to tell me they wouldn't be publishing my review because it wasn't suitable. I'd said nothing other than the product I bought was not of good quality and wouldn't work. I gave it one star. Funny how other reviews of 4 stars have been published...
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    They're far from alone. John Lewis are at it aswell and have already emailed me to tell me they wouldn't be publishing my review because it wasn't suitable. I'd said nothing other than the product I bought was not of good quality and wouldn't work. I gave it one star. Funny how other reviews of 4 stars have been published...

Interesting. So we seem to be providing evidence here of a pattern. Tesco reviews look to be biased, and maybe John Lewis too. Both of these companies have had a go at Amazon - but Amazon seems to be the one with the genuine reviews!
  • jenniewb
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Interesting. So we seem to be providing evidence here of a pattern. Tesco reviews look to be biased, and maybe John Lewis too. Both of these companies have had a go at Amazon - but Amazon seems to be the one with the genuine reviews!

After having my opinion/experience censored I put it out on Twitter regarding the feedback being cancelled. Straight away JL responded and asked me to contact their customer care team which I did eventually (I don't have endless amounts of free time to waste on John Lewis refusing to allow reality to sink in regarding some of their products being a waste of money) and am awaiting their response. Being that I've had a pretty clear view of how their system seems to work I'm not expecting much in the way of customer service or respect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure