Gym Membership auto renewing

Options
A relative of mine has just discovered that they have a unused gym membership running back over several years. Cannot remember when they joined but we are talking years since the gym was last used! I've looked at the T&C and they state that the gym can cancel memberships if unused after 12 months, but clearly they have not looked or more likely opted to allow the membership to simply auto renew each year and bank the money.

I know my relative should have checked their DD but is there not some responsibility on the gym to not simply auto renew when clearly a member is not using the facilities?

Is it possible/legal right to claim any of this money back? Its one of the Big brand gyms.

Going to get them to cancel DD now and write to company but doesnt feel right that they can bank several thousand pounds when they can see the gym isnt being used.

Any thought appreciated.

Comments

• StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    No responsibility for the gym,, why should they?

It would likely only happen if they have too many members on the books - Im sure it would only happen if they were approaching capacity limits.. I know when I used Virgin active - would often see floods of new member following summer \ winter 'pushes' and students starting nearby universities, but the attendances would quickly drop off...

All gyms probably have a fair percentage of non using members, and it probably suits them that way - i.e. Less wear and tear on machines and equipment from these members - compared to the regular users - who are paying just the same to the gym...

Its more unusual that the relative would have such a significant DD going out un-noticed - it is more there fault for happily letting that go by. I know I would notice thousands of pounds over the years...
  • cherryblossomzel
    cherryblossomzel Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2015 at 4:31PM
    Options
    I don't think you can ask the gym to be responsible for this. I'm sure all of them have more members than they could comfortably handle if everyone actually used the gym regularly. I doubt they even keep an eye on who uses the facilities regularly or not, why should they?

It's not just the gyms either, for example phone companies would certainly keep charging you line rental unless you tell them otherwise. They don't care whether you actually use the phone or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure