hope this is in correct forum!

Hi,
am I right in thinking that if my son wants a tv in his room to xbox on, it doesn't have to be linked to an ariel/freeview/sky dish etc?
i.e. just conect xbox to tv, connect tv to plug socket?
many thanks :)
oh, he doesn't use xbox live, if that's any different.
LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

Replies

• Ebe_ScroogeEbe_Scrooge Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes that's right - if it's only going to be used for gaming then no need for any sort of ariel ( whether that's a conventional ariel, dish, fibre, whatever ). Just plug the console into the TV and away you go.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
  • Tlg1991Tlg1991 Forumite
    178 Posts
    Ebe I think you have misunderstood. i think asparagus1968 was asking if they can watch tv through the Xbox one without a TV Ariel. The answer is no. to get freeview TV through your xbox one you will need an ariel and also an extra DVR thing that microsoft will sell next year as it isn't available in the uk yet which connects to the xbox.

If this is not what you meant and you just mean to play games on the console then no, you dont need an ariel, just connect to a tv ie. plug and HDMI cable.
    :j
  • Tlg1991Tlg1991 Forumite
    178 Posts
    Actually, my mistake you can buy this now for freeview TV through the xbox, the DVR thing they are releasing next year is to record programmes like a sky+ box would

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-One-Digital-Tuner/dp/B00E97HVJI
    :j
  • Thank you both, I just meant what EBE said, just for gaming. That's good news.
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Not clear whether we're talking about XBox 360 or the newer XBox ONE, but both have iPlayer and other catch up services on them, through the internet, so whilst you won't get 'broadcast' TV, he can still watch plenty.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    almillar wrote: »
    Not clear whether we're talking about XBox 360 or the newer XBox ONE, but both have iPlayer and other catch up services on them, through the internet, so whilst you won't get 'broadcast' TV, he can still watch plenty.

And All 4 and 5 on demand, will need a Gold Subscription for All 4 though.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals