We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What cleaning products do you buy your housekeeper ?

Happy Sunday all,

I tend to purchase my housekeeper a brand of cleaning product called "Mr Muscle", I have never really thought about it, but some of these bottles are costing a fortune, is there a less expensive (but equally as good) option for my purchases?

Comments

  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    I clean houses for a living and the main cleaner I use is bleach,Aldi one is 49p a bottle.White vinegar is good aswell.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,626 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    The staff here do a superb job using Aldi kitchen cleaner in an orange bottle not dissimilar to Mr M. That and plenty of elbow grease keeps 'em happy till they are dismissed for the day........
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

    £300/£130
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    We tend to buy method we buy ecover when its on offer, apart from that we ask that she only uses hot water/our steamer.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Happy Sunday all,

    I tend to purchase my housekeeper a brand of cleaning product called "Mr Muscle", I have never really thought about it, but some of these bottles are costing a fortune, is there a less expensive (but equally as good) option for my purchases?

    I would have thought the housekeeper has some preferences of their own.

    I prefer plain supermarket branded thick bleach for the toilet, thin bleach for bathroom surfaces. I put them into a spray bottle to make it go further but your housekeeper may have an alternative preference.

    I use a lemon vinegar mix in the kitchen again in a plain spray bottle.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • many thanks
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've no idea as the chauffeur is responsible for buying all the household consumables, distributing them to the various staff and ultimately firing those that don't keep the place up standard.
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    Another vote here for Aldi cleaning products. They are all perfectly good quality. In addition we tend to provide Stardrops which is an old-fashioned multi-purpose cleaner that replaces all of those specific items for bathroom, kitchen, toilet, etc. When you have domestic staff it is reasonable for them to put in the effort to get the best out of the products you provide, they should not expect fancy brands.
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
  • I use Aldi toilet cleaner, but nearly everything else is done with white vinegar, washing up liquid, soda crystals and bicarbonate of soda
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Flash 'clean and shine' is a great all purpose surface cleaner. Tiles, worktops, doors/ flat walls etc.
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've no idea. That's for the butler to manage and organise.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.