Mortgage Payoff and Travel

Hi,

I am looking to radically change my life, sell up and travel the world.

My plan is to sell my house, pay off the 72K mortgage and pocket 70K profit. I will then travel the world for a year or 2 and then rent and work to fund further traveling. Crazy I know but looking for some advice on the best way of doing this. I currently have a offset mortgage.

Am I best just paying off and investing the money somewhere or is there a better way. If not what is the best way to invest the money so that I get the best from the capital. I don't have much savings so I will need to access this money to some degree.

Any help appreciated

Zuma

Replies

• newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not consider renting it out while travelling and just working as you go?

2022 MFW 67 £0/ £13,000

MFI3 No.12 £0/ £40,000
  • ZumaZuma Forumite
    8 Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I need the funds to travel
  • Monkeychops16Monkeychops16 Forumite
    154 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I really admire you grabbing life like that. What a mega opportunity. No advice but lot's of admiration.

:T
  • LuckyinlifeLuckyinlife Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Advise on here is mainly how to pay your mortgage off which i guess you can do when you sell the house :]

only advise i would give is enjoy every second of it :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • ourcornercottageourcornercottage Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Me and BF DID this 11 years ago don't regret it a bit.

Put money in interest making accounts whilst you aren't using it, if there's any that you aren't going to use put in a longer term option with higher rates. My best advise is getting someone you 100% trust access to ones of your accounts in case you need money. In fact my parents are still signatories on my account now!!!

Have fun :-)
  • ZumaZuma Forumite
    8 Posts
    Thanks for the support everyone, very encouraging. I guess I need to post in one of the investment forums and look to do as advised.

Much appreciated everyone so far :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News