PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evicting distant relation after probate

Options
nic_c
nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 12 August 2015 at 10:55AM in House buying, renting & selling
This thread was started without the full facts. Since these have come to light, this thread is surplus to needs. There is also lots of assumptions and speculation by some posters.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    She sounds like an excluded occupier meaning she has very few rights. You just need to give reasonable notice (it doesn't even have to be in writing) and you don't need a court order to get her out either.
  • nic_c
    Options
    Thanks, just looked that up on Shelter, it does seem appropriate.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,106 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If she was a dependent of the deceased and didn't inherit, she could claim that she should be entitled to inherit something.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,956 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she's got her own house though, wouldn't she have a bit of a game claiming to be dependent?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • nic_c
    Options
    Not a dependent, only a relation through marriage.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Clearly the occupier is mistaken in claiming that the house is hers.

How is the house now registered at the Land Registry?

Would it be worth seeing a solicitor and asking him to write a formal letter to the occupier giving full details of ownership and a month's notice to quit?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You would be advised to use an expert in Landlord/tenant law on this (the stakes are high). As she has lived there a couple of years she can claim to have done things (eg repairs...) which constitue "moneysworth" which counts as rent.

For what it's worth I would serve s8, s21 & an NTQ, and act on all three & expect an argument in court. Or ask her how much she wants to just go (do it so it can't be seen as harassment, & in front of a witness). May be cheaper & quicker.

What does the occupant say about the terms the department agreed with her?? (That's the key..)
  • nic_c
    edited 3 August 2015 at 10:12PM
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Clearly the occupier is mistaken in claiming that the house is hers.

How is the house now registered at the Land Registry?
    The 2 children of the deceased named as proprietors
    xylophone wrote: »
    Would it be worth seeing a solicitor and asking him to write a formal letter to the occupier giving full details of ownership and a month's notice to quit?
    Yes, just wanted to know what we could do.
  • nic_c
    Options
    I've now seen all the documents. The Will says she can live there until she moves, then the absolute title passes to the grandson. The Land Registry says disposition of the property cannot be done without written notice of the disposition been given to her. Doesn't say anything about her having to agree with the disposition. So wondering if selling would be an option if all else fails?

The grandson now lives there, after a relationship breakdown a year ago, but has been given restrictions on what he does (even though it will be his house). What brought this to a head is he was told, wasn't it about time he found his own place and move out!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,106 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like she has the right to live there. So she may not be able to prevent the grandson moving in, but you can't force her out.

Selling with her having the right to stay there won't be an option.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure