We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Old Style Cleaning Products

Hi,

I'm about to move into a new house and don't want to make the same mistake of having a bulging cleaning cupboard full of things I never use (e,g anti bac wipes, shower spray, bathroom mousse, kitchen spray, cream cleanser, floor cleaner etc) I would rather buy a couple of things that is multi purpose.

Would like to hear from other Old Stylers on what products they use to clean the whole house.
Cat :wave:

Comments

  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Someone posted a recipe for a degreaser on facebook and I made it up - now on my 3rd batch. I love it. The smell of vinegar doesn't last long lol I'm pretty sure vinegar is anti-bacterial too.

    2oz of Fairy liquid
    4oz lemon juice
    8oz vinegar
    10oz water

    And just mix in a spray bottle. I find it great on upvc window frames, windows, sink, cupboard doors, etc
  • We generally keep the following in:

    Multi-purpose disinfctant concentrate something like dettol or zoflora or the like. We use this for bins and floors.
    Bleach which we use in the bathroom (can be used in place of the above but neither of us wants the stress of worrying about bleaching a rug etc.)
    Vinegar in a spray bottle--used on surfaces, sometimes on the floors/bins, for dusting, on glass etc.
    Bicarb--used for scouring the sink and to make a past with bleach to clean grout
    We also sometimes use washing up liquid in a bucket with water

    I also like to keep a pack of wipes stored away for 'emergencies.' One example of this would be when I had violent food poisoning a few weeks ago. I don't want to buy them regularly but we do find the odd moment where I am really thankful for modern conveniences.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    I generally keep a bottle of Dr Bronner's Sal Suds in which I use for pretty much everything - floors, scrubbing, cleaning the bathroom etc. If you look online there are people who post long lists of everything they use it for.

    It looks expensive (I paid around £10 for a 960ml bottle) but it's a huge bottle, and the soap is incredibly concentrated and lasts forever - I think I bought my last bottle in the middle of 2014 :) You really don't need very much, just a few drops is enough in a bucket for mopping the floor. It has a nice pine/spruce scent which is quite neutral.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    For me its a bottle of fairy, bottle of stardrops, flash, bleach and hob brite
  • stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Astonish, all types, £1 for large bottle in Asda and most of the cheapy shops :)
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    All I have is

    Bleach,
    Zoflora
    Magnum washing up liquid (Aldi)
    Soap wire pads (great on the hob and the shower doors, no... brilliant!)
    Floor wipes from Aldi (handy to have to mop up spills on the floor)

    That's it!
  • Ah the Stardrops miracle washing up liquid - if you can find it!
    I got a few bottles from wilko a while back but haven't found the energy to tackle the kitchen and bathroom yet - lazy moo.
    Zoflora if magic stuff only a few drops needed.
    xx
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.