At risk of losing job

Options
I'm a bus driver with over 30 years service and at risk of losing my job. Cameras are watching us all the time, management are scrutinising our every move in order to find a flaw and on one occasion they did. I was drinking a cold cup of tea in the cab as I'd run out of water and there were no facilities in the bus station for a drink. I'm being told that this is against company policy but surely this is a matter of health and safety? It was a hot day, I hadn't had a drink for a few hrs and my mouth was dry - there wasn't much I could really do.

If anyone has any advice or any points to bring up during the hearing I'd be ever so grateful.

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh that sounds harsh. start by looking through the employee handbook (there is one?) To see if there are any rules.

If they do a disciplinary, you're normally allowed to take a workmate or union rep with you.

Hope they see sense!
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Did you know it was against policy? What does the policy actually say?

If you quote the policy we'll be better informed to advise you on arguments etc.....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • DandelionPatrol
    DandelionPatrol Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Options
    There is a big difference between drinking in the cab, parked up and on the move. Can you tell us which it was, so you get the correct advice?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the company policy:
    No drinks in cab ever
    No hot drinks in cab ever
    Only cold drinks in cab when cab is in depot
    Only cold drinks in cab when cab isn't moving

You need to give a lot more details of your infraction and the policy to get any meaningful advice.
  • Cazyorks01
    Options
    Hi, thank you to all those that had replied. I'd lost my login details to get back on until now.

The company policy is no drinks in the cab apart from a water bottle they provide. There is nothing in my handbook about drinks it's just on a notice board under health and safety.

Background

I had the cold cup of tea whilst stationary in the bus station and then I moved away but I was driving forward to exit the bus station I noticed i still had a sip left so finished this and put the cup straight in my bag. I was private travelling at no more than 5mph and no passengers were on. All throughout I was in a metro station.

There were no facilities in the station to get a drink.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Not sure it is relevent but where did the cold tea come from, it must have been hot at one point surely?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Cazyorks01
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

Yeah sure, it was from a flask that was made at 6am that morning. It was 2:30pm when this happened.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    Is it the fact is was tea, or the fact that you were drinking anything at all while driving a bus (as in it was actually moving) that they are pulling you up on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure