Getting back a valuation fee from Nationwide

Our lender, Nationwide, refused to port our mortgage, but they took a £230 valuation fee on 24 June.

I have asked for this back several times, often resulting in a very long phone conversation (mostly on hold), the last being 33 minutes.

So why do they take a valuation fee at a stage were they may not do what they are being paid for, then take sooooo long to return it?

I did ask I'd like to complain but was told by a rude operative "YOU CAN'T!"

I won't be banking with Nationwide anymore! But were can I go about this £230? Have I lost it?

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Write a formal letter of complaint and have it sent recorded delivery.

The other option is to go and kick up a stink in a branch with other customers present....
  • podwin
    podwin Posts: 72 Forumite
    Thanks, I'll find an address. Been into branch twice and they just tell me to phone the mortgage centre. Then when I phone that person told me I'd have to go into branch!

An utter farce.

Don't think I could kick up a stink.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2015 at 10:39AM
    You would port the morgage rate/deal not the actual mortgage. You would need to apply for a new mortgage and port the rate. So did they decline to offer you a new mortgage after taking the valuation fee and before carrying out the valuation or did they actually carry out a valuation first before declining? If it's the former then complain for sure.
  • podwin
    podwin Posts: 72 Forumite
    They declined after taking the fee and before the actual valuation.

They didn't value the property because they declined the mortgage, yet demanded the valuation fee at the point the mortgage was applied for not knowing what the outcome could be.

As current customer's we didn't see a problem so let them take it.

It's the poor service of 30 minutes phones calls, being passed to branch then back, and broken promises of being called back which is starting to really annoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure