Big Dreams Start Small ~ Diary & Scrapbook

Options
I'm nearing the end of my DFW journey. It's been a rough road but the light is now at the end of the tunnel with only £230 remaining on my Credit Card and £50 rent arrears (due to a long battle with housing benefit and not knowing how much to pay!)

I became a single mum just over a year ago, which is when my journey started. New home, starting completely from scratch with debts over £4k. I've managed to set up a home, return back to work and save a pay for a holiday in just over a weeks time. This form was the focal point in driving me forward and learning me to scrim, save and change old nasty habits.

I'm starting this diary as I don't want to fall into old habit's but to continue the journey. There's so many things I want to see and do, therefor I don't want to be wasting money but continue learning and finding new ways to save money and put it towards the things I really want in life.

This will be a diary/sets of lists of money saving ideas. Some of my own and some I've picked up of the forums/friends. I often read/hear things and think 'oh that's a good idea' but then forget all about it. Or sometimes I do something for a long, then slip out of habit. Therefor, I want to put them all in one place to review or just read over when I need inspiration (bit like a scrapbook).

Happy Money Saving Everyone x
Debt Free Since 05/09/2015
Breath out the past, breath in the future Big Dreams Start Small

Comments

• xxxJOJOxxx
    xxxJOJOxxx Posts: 108 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 31 July 2015 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Well with it being the Summer Holidays, I think it would be fitting to make my first list of free things to do with Children to keep them entertained during their time off. Days out can be very expensive (especially when no car and not much locally around) Some are obvious and their properly lots more to add but will make a start

Den Building
    Sheets over poles/wood dens in local forest/cardboard box den inside
    Picnics
    In the garden/local beauty spot/princess or pirate themed (could include dressing up, making themed items beforehand)
    Games Night
    Dust of the boards games, make a night of it with popcorn & treats/Card Games
    Outside Crafts
    Water Painting/Bubble wrap stomp Painting/Chalk Drawing/bubbles/Paint plant pots/Splatter Paint on a sheet/
    Outdoors Fun
    Bike/scooter ride/Treasure Hunt/Bug Trail/Walk collecting things to make a picture/look at the stars/camping in the garden/tea Party/Veg growing/Gardening/Make a hopscotch
    Craft Activities Indoors
    Card Making/Scrap book 'what I did in the summer holidays' /collage/Make tub boats/Make Instruments with things lying around/keep a eye for fun/open days on facebook/Paint pasta & make Necklaces
    Sport Activities
    Mini sports day with friends/ball games/bat & ball games
    Cooking/Baking
    Mini pizzas/cakes/biscuits/icing & decorating biscuits/
    Old School Games
    Hide & Seek/I spy/
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Brilliant idea. I've subscribed now. You've done so well this year JoJo. Looking forward to reading all about your DF life! Great holiday activity list too.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've stalked you (in the friendly way, not the creepy, you need to hide kind of way!) from the small things board! Subscribed!
    Starting again..
  • xxxJOJOxxx
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Bob ~ Yeah its been a good yeah :-D Can't wait until the next chapter. Its amazing how far you can get in only a year!

Just reviewed my budget for this week. Enough left for the last bill and £26 for my weekly home delivery from Mr A, which I order on Sundays for the new week. I only book the £1 delivery slots, which is a lot cheaper than the £4.50 taxi far home. It also enables me to stick to the list and not drag the little ones around the shop (and after to say no all the time)

Made packed lunches for me and little ones, whilst their at the child-minders and I'm at work. Mine very boring today so will need to pick up a snack like a banana and yogurt whilst I'm passing through town. Child-minder is taking them to a local farm today, which is nice as we haven't really got any days out planned with going aboard soon.

Later this evening I've got two collections from selling things on the Facebook pages. That will be another £20 in the pot (putting this money into updating the girls rooms and furniture). Amazing how quickly you can make some extra cash from things lying around.

Ill be starting the next two weeks budget later also. My youngest turns 2 two days after we get back from holiday, so want that all done and dusted before we go. Need to make a list of stuff we need (not a lot) and think of things to entertain them whilst were on the plane. Also any other expenses that will come up before I go so we've got plenty of cash to enjoy ourselves, not that I see we will need much but its nice to have the option and be carefree of money for a week.

Well I'm going to finish my brew and then set of work for the day
  • xxxJOJOxxx
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Twiggy Hi, its nice of you to join me, stalking and all :-D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors