Watch out fabulous blonde coming through,

Options
Hi All,

I know there is hundreds of these kinds of threads in this forum for the same thing but I have decided a diary may be the best way for me to challenge my massive need to loose weight and stay in control.

I am at my heaviest now I have ever been, I have an unhealthy relationship with food, I am so unfit it's untrue and have failed to tackle this head on until now. Bigger than this though is the fact I have a history of diabetes within my family, my gran is on dialysis and my mum is now facing the fact she may have to go on insulin injections as the tablets are not working anymore. I cannot and will not let diabetes get me. I carry the majority of my weight around my stomach and I love sugar so much, I am a prime target for the evil illness.

I think it's best for me to get my excuses as to how I have gotten to this state out now and then I can wipe the slate clean ready to start becoming the fabulous blonde I know I can be. I cannot use these excuses any longer.

* I am vegetarian and as a result has convinced myself that I need to eat double the amount of carbs anyone else would to make up for not feeling full from protein.
* I live alone, when I can't be bothered to cook as I work long hours I order a takeaway, at work as I don't like waking up in the morning I purchase food from Sainsburys or M&S opposite the office as it's convenient.
* When I do cook it's enough to feed a small village and I eat it all.
* I hate feeling out of breath and so always end up avoiding exercise, I intended to go the gym at work during lunchtimes but then work gets too busy and I don't have time. I used to play tennis until I had an accident earlier this year and can no longer play.
* I have an excuse for everything. UNTIL NOW.

Saturday the 1st August will be the day I turn things all around, I have done an online shopping order which is full of food I should be eating, plenty of salad etc. I know I have the ability to eat healthy, I love fruit/vegetables and I know that I eat probably 3x the amount I should. I have chosen to start the day after tomorrow as I want tomorrow to prepare for the changes I am going to make instead of going into this without the right food ready and on a whim.

My first challenges I think will be
* there is always masses of cakes and biscuits in the office which are so tempting.
* the first day of the new me is on a Saturday and I do enjoy a drink, especially prosecco. Oh the sugar.
* Finding the time to be more active.

Wish me luck and if anyone has any ideas on what small things I can make each day it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Cinders.
Arctic Monkeys :j

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, good luck.

I would Cut the carbs and the sugar. I found it easier to generally just say no than try to cut down. Add plenty off healthy fats, including butter on your veg (yes, I know, but the "fat makes you fat" theory has pretty much been discredited now); coconut oil, avocados, eggs, chick peas, lentils

Have a look at Deliciously Ella - she has fab recipes. I also like Plant based Pixie and Oh She Glows
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi good luck.

Your post rang many bells with me I was where you are in January. I have changed my eating habits and life style a lot since then, lost weight and am still on that long road. Even to have lost what I have lost has made a huge difference to how I feel, you will feel so much better soon.

I will subscribe.
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    Well done for making a start. Here's some suggestions, entirely based on what has worked for me.

Find an exercise you like, (for me its swimming) and put aside time at least twice a week to do it. Treat it like any other appointment, its in the diary and therefore will happen.

Try some easy alternatives to takeaways for when you can't be bothered. Scrambled eggs or avocado on toast. Some veg fried in fajita spice and wedged in a wrap. Very easy, I can cook them in less time than it would take to decide on a takeaway and have it arrive.

Add more fruit/veg at every meal to increase your intake.

Don't try and do it all at once though. Pick one thing to change this week, and do it. Then pick another in a week or two. It stops it getting to overwhelming and gives you a greater chance of success.

Good luck :cool:
  • oldestgnome
    oldestgnome Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly well done for pre-empting the health issues and recognising you want to make some changes to your lifestyle, not diet, lifestyle!

Your changes need to be permanent and sustainable.

You've had some really good advice already!

I've so far lost 100lbs this year so whatever you want to achieve you can do. Remember if you fall off the wagon, which will definitely happen, draw a line in the sand and climb back on. Don't berate yourself, maybe try and understand why it happened, I'm working on this one! It's an ongoing process.

There is plenty of support and advice, reach out! Maybe a friend or a colleague as a gym buddy? Of course there are all the lovely people on here.

Good luck!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 August 2015 at 10:57AM
    Options
    Loads of luck... and stick with it..... but I'm sure you have the determination to follow through....

My suggestion is that as far as possible you load up on veggies rather than fruit simply because they contain a lot less sugar (yes, even natural sugar needs a little avoidance!) if you love your fruit this is the time of year- think all those berries as they are not so sugar loaded.

I go swimming, if at all possible every weekday. It used to x3 each week but since going daily (not w/e) I have cut 5 minutes off swimming 20 lengths. I used to groan when the alarm went off but it has become a habit... up, breakfast, quick dog walk, swimming pool.

I also have a sweet tooth but after six months am more discerning. This past week have bought some choc chip cookies- and given them away, they weren't special enough. If I want a treat it has to be delicious or not at all!

I know you like drinkie drinks- however try chilled sparkling water with generous squeeze of fresh lemon, lime or orange. Much less calorific

I would suggest looking at the 5:2 diet. It really is working for me......

Look forward to hearing how you are doing Cinders!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you find an exercise where there is more than your own motivation to go? Possibly one of the attractions of tennis was that another person couldn't play if you dropped out. Perhaps signing up and paying for a series of classes, or a course where you need to turn up most sessions to avoid falling behind.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Wishing you all the best, your post could have been written by me! Subscribing and hoping you will inspire me to get my tush into gear. I have found most success over the years by low carbing but never stick to it long term so need to find a way to make it manageable. The last twice i have done weightwatchers i have lost weight but not through healthy choices - have found myself scoffing the lowest point chocolate biscuits, crisps and eating lots of meringues. I am also at my heaviest and fed up.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brilliant post - I'm not going to wish you luck, luck has nothing to do with it!
    You will get this not by chance, but because you want it & you'll work for it :-)
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    OP, how are you getting on - a week into your plan to take control?
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure