Free Solar Panels - Previous experiences?

Options
Hi Guys,

We don't intend to move, and may have the money for a system in the future but with the news of the possible cuts for solar funding we are looking more seriously at free solar panels.

We've looked at companies like A Shade Greener etc but realise the pitfalls of using them as they will own the system and take all the subsidies etc.

Keen to know what others think of this 5050 kind of deal. Having read up a bit on it, it seems like a decent option if you can't afford them as they only take some of the subsidies and there isnt any extra interest once you decide to pay for the rest of the system. It's likely to be something we could afford to pay off in a couple of years with all our other money saving antics, anybody already installed with a 5050solar deal? Keen to know their experiences.

Thanks in advance

Shell x

Comments

• WattoS84
    WattoS84 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Should have mentioned, this is the specific deal we are looking at more seriously

oakwoodenergygroup.co.uk/fully-funded-solar-panels-free-option-without-upfront-costs/
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 July 2015 at 8:52PM
    Options
    Hi

With the recent announcement on changes to Green Deal finance, I'd be surprised if the scheme being described would still be available in the format described until the full implications are understood by the industry, anyway ....

First impressions revolve around you financing 50% through the Green Deal (repaid through electricity bill) and effectively having a 50% loan from the supplier (paid from FiTs ?) over an indeterminable timescale would probably add-up to another high-price install resulting in a customer net-zero position on viability (or worse) .... we've seen a number of financed schemes specifically designed to relieve the customer of most/all system income/savings popping up recently ...

Could be wrong, but without cost & repayment details we simply wouldn't know. If you do decide to look further into it, just be wary and don't agree to anything without fully understanding what's on offer, especially so if there's any form of pressure-selling or time-limited discounting. Don't hesitate to check for feedback on any quotes/deals which you do receive with members on these boards ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • WattoS84
    Options
    Ohh I see. I thought they had just announced its to be scrapped. Not that its already been scrapped?
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    WattoS84 wrote: »
    Ohh I see. I thought they had just announced its to be scrapped. Not that its already been scrapped?

No the Green Deal is scrapped with immediate effect for new applications. Nothing has changed (yet) for the feed in tariff for domestic and smaller scale solar.

Ed
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These agreements appear to create all sorts of possible encumbrances on land and property. There is most importantly the lease of your roof. Then there may be covenants and easements. Then there are insurance difficulties concerning the equipment that is owned by another party. And presumably a lender would have an interest in any leasing of the property. It is all very possible to deal with legally but it is setting up a lot of uncertainties for the future.

It would be disconcerting if your "roof tenant" burned down your property.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Shell. Just to get a better picture of your PV potential, could you post some property details. Roof size would be great, roof orientation, roof pitch, approx location (nearest city for privacy), if you have any shading issues.

Just wondering whether you have an excellent roof (large, south facing, unshaded in Cornwall) or poor potential anyway (small roof, east facing, bottom of a shady Scottish valley).

If it's not too personal could you also detail any monies you do have available. If you got an excellent deal of £5k, would you have to finance it all, or perhaps pay half and use a zero interest credit card.

I'm just trying to ascertain if you should (at this stage) keep thinking, trying and pushing, or walk away, for now.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • WattoS84
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hello Shell. Just to get a better picture of your PV potential, could you post some property details. Roof size would be great, roof orientation, roof pitch, approx location (nearest city for privacy), if you have any shading issues.

Just wondering whether you have an excellent roof (large, south facing, unshaded in Cornwall) or poor potential anyway (small roof, east facing, bottom of a shady Scottish valley).

If it's not too personal could you also detail any monies you do have available. If you got an excellent deal of £5k, would you have to finance it all, or perhaps pay half and use a zero interest credit card.

I'm just trying to ascertain if you should (at this stage) keep thinking, trying and pushing, or walk away, for now.

Mart.

Thanks for the concern but wasn't looking for anyone to try and sell us something.

Looking at the equipment out there, it doesnt seem a 'excellent' deal for 5k should exist. We liked the idea of going 5050 and paying it up at a later date with no initial outlay, which was why we were so interested in this. Its a shame to hear (we was obviously wrong) that the green deal scheme is now gone.

If we was to get a system off our own back it would have to be an optimized one. My hubby done most the homework but we are in agreement that a shading or not, a standard system with possible panel mismatch and degradation isnt a great idea for 20 years.

Since was corrected have looked at the news further. Pretty sad as it looks we have missed the 'golden stage'
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the concern but wasn't looking for anyone to try and sell us something.

Since was corrected have looked at the news further. Pretty sad as it looks we have missed the 'golden stage'

Just to be clear, I don't sell PV, and I don't suggest nor recommend any installers either.

I was just wondering if PV was something that you should be encouraged with at the moment, or if it would be kinder to simply say that this isn't a great investment for you, even if you had the cash, letting you draw a line under it.

Regarding 'golden stage', the current prices and subsidy levels makes this one of the highest return on investment periods in UK domestic PV. But you do need to have the cash, unfortunately. As others have said, the various finance deals and packages are often some of the worst deals we hear about on here.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If we was to get a system off our own back it would have to be an optimized one. My hubby done most the homework but we are in agreement that a shading or not, a standard system with possible panel mismatch and degradation isnt a great idea for 20 years.

Mismatch if far from the issue it was because 1. Most panels are now positive tolerance rated. So previously while a 260 W module might be + or - 5% so could in theory be 247 W now you can easily get modules which are - 0% to +5% so you can only gain. 2. Manufacturing tolerances are getting tighter so you shouldn't see 10% variation like some older panels.

The thing with microinverters or optimisers is that it is something else to go wrong and if it does, it's on the roof of your house! Sure though, if you have medium/bad shading issues then it can definitly be worth it.
    Looking at the equipment out there, it doesnt seem a 'excellent' deal for 5k should exist.
    There are various people/posts on this forum who have got sub or near sub 5k deals. It seems to be perfectly possible if you have a good shop around.
    As Mart said, returns now are better than they were 4-5 years ago! That may change towards the autumn if the drop the FiT but still time to grandfather those rates. I'm just annoyed I rent so can't install my own rooftop solar!

Be careful of any pressure from salesmen offering these financing deals and be sceptical of everything they quote.
  • charben
    Options
    My friend had these panels installed without fuss and her electricity bill was reduced. She has been very pleased.
    She could not have afforded to buy panels and was very happy her electricity was a bit cheaper.
    BUT the website states it make it 'easier to sell your property' if it has these panels.
    She has found the reverse to be true.........
    The buyers solicitors asked for the certificate from my friend - a shadegreener asked her which certificate she needed as there is a choice!
    She didn't know so has gone back to the solicitor then back to a shader green and this has gone on for weeks...... she seemed to be going round and round in circles. And all the time this was the only thing preventing her exchanging. The exchange has been delayed and she has ended up paying a further months mortgage payment.
    I spoke to someone at Head Office this morning to try and help my friend and didn't find them very helpful.
    Any installation should be accompanied by certificate(s) like Double glazing which comes with warranty etc etc as does electrical work.
    Why does a shade of green not give its clients all the relevant certificate(s) that they may require when the decide to sell their property???
    This is very in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport