Wood burning stoves NI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
8 replies 1.6K views
In_For_A_Penny_2In_For_A_Penny_2 Forumite
345 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Anyone with recommendations for where to acquire wood burning (or multi-file) stoves in NI?

Quick google search highlights Mourne fires & The stove yard but guess I'm looking for people's experiences, places with competitive fitting costs etc?

Replies

• RTNIRTNI Forumite
    817 Posts
    Ards fireplaces. I got a multifuel stove from them and was good service.

I was not impressed with the stove yard, too keen and pushy on my first visit for information!
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • rolo1_2rolo1_2 Forumite
    509 Posts
    Maurice Phillips in Ballymena. Knows his stuff that's for sure. Fitters top notch, clean tidy workers.

I Highly recommend you talk to them before you choose who to go with. Had ours a year now and love it. I only burn kiln dried wood in it and provides loads of long lasting heat.
  • smejsmej Forumite
    47 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just had one fitted last week from the Stove Yard in Newtownards. Wouldn't say it was either good or bad service. I saw the stove i wanted and bought it. I found prices to be the same online as what they sold them for. The variations in prices are in the fitting.
  • Another recommendation for Maurice Phillips in Ballymena who installed a stove for me last summer.

Maurice provided good advice on the best stove for my house and the fitters did a great job with the installation.
  • edited 27 July 2015 at 4:16PM
    fivebobeachfivebobeach Forumite
    46 Posts
    edited 27 July 2015 at 4:16PM
    Seriously (notwithstanding those mentioned above) but some of the people selling these things are the biggest rip off merchants going, be very careful!

I highly recommend Natural Home Interiors, Dundrum Road just outside Newcastle.

I priced for mine everywhere, spent weeks at it, and these people came in at almost half the nearest price and did a fantastic job.

Don't be fooled by their basic website, they're a small family business and Paul the owner does the fitting himself. Thoroughly professional, competent, courteous and reliable outfit.

Took away the old open fire and back/base, opened the fireplace, fitted the new 8.4kW stove, retaining the original fire surround, new internal black metal cavity, flue and all black granite base and hearth... less than £2k all in!

Don't buy anywhere else until you're had a chat and a quote, honestly you're throwing money away!, I couldn't have gotten a better job done at ANY price!

Best decision I ever made!
  • Thanks for all the feedback folks - agree its a bit of a minefield. Went to several places today - the first place advised that is was impossible to give a quote until they had removed my fireplace to see what was involved.

Other places offered to send someone out to assess the recess etc and give a written quote. Most of the actual wood burners are similar price.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another recommendation for Maurice Phillips
  • Zola.Zola. Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Literally just placed an order today for a Morso 04 stove from The Stove Yard. They have a price guarantee and they were the cheapest I could find between looking across 5 or 6 shops.

Only down side it will be 6 weeks before its installed!

£2600 all in
    "Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist" 
    "The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary" 
    "The borrower is slave to the lender."
    "Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom."
    "Every bit of savings is like taking a point in the future that would have been owned by someone else and giving it back to yourself"
    "Energy flows where attention goes"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals