Barrats Homes Pension

Options
My wife worked for Barrats homes for 8 years 18 years ago. Past 12 months she has been getting letters about her pension. I have not seen the letters but my wife is not bothered, but I have told her it her money. Does she need to get in touch with Barrats to get her money out?.

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    how old is she?

Is is a money purchase DC scheme or a final salary DB scheme? If DB what is the scheme age when it can be taken?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,542 Forumite
    Options
    I am almost sure that 18 years ago Barratts had a Final Salary scheme although they don't now.

If I am right, then your wife has a deferred defined benefits pension.

https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/2012/07/24/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

Does she by any chance have a scheme booklet or a statement of deferred benefits from when she left the scheme?

Has she reached Scheme Pension Age?

Unless your wife feels that you have far too much money to need to be bothered, she might be well advised to read the correspondence...:rotfl:
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    I had a feeling it was DB, and she doesnt need to do anything until she is 6 months out from Scheme age- but they do have your address it seems.

So dig out to old paperwork or get a copy from somewhere. She needs to contact them when she moves house or is 6 months out from scheme age?
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    I am almost sure that 18 years ago Barratts had a Final Salary scheme although they don't now.

If I am right, then your wife has a deferred defined benefits pension.

If a wife has a defined-benefit pension scheme which has spouse benefits, then the husband has the legal right to ask for information directly from the provider, because he is also a beneficiary.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    If a wife has a defined-benefit pension scheme which has spouse benefits, then the husband has the legal right to ask for information directly from the provider, because he is also a beneficiary.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Which law?

Genuinely interested!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business