NHS Defrerred benefits Early

Options
Hi All. I will obviously follow this up with NHS Pensions as it's a very specific question, but thought I'd see if anyone here has any comments to make.

I started paying into an NHS Pension in 1982.Very sadly I had to leave my NHS job in 1998, unfortunately since that time my condition has worsened and I have not been able to return either to my original job or take any employment since. I have continued to be awarded Incapacity Benefit since 1998 and since 2012 have been in the Support Group for ESA. I also receive the higher rate for the Mobility Component and standard Care in PIP.

At the time of leaving it was suggested about requesting ill health benefits from my pension which has since been deferred. At the time it was unclear how my condition would proceed and a retirement on ill health grounds would have been, more likely than not, unsuccessful.

My question is would I only have been entitled to claim ill health retirement at the time ie 1998, or as I feel I could now stand (I believe) a better chance of being successful, could I put in a claim for nhs ill health retirement now?

Many thanks.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Pensions/2688.aspx

"If you are a deferred member and you become too ill to undertake regular employment you may apply to take your pension early without reduction. Your benefits will not be enhanced. Complete form AW240 to request consideration of entitlement to early payment of deferred benefits due to ill health. Pension Credit Members should complete form AW240(PC)."
  • bujin
    bujin Posts: 242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for this and for the link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts