What are options for when our first pets passes?

Jo4
Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Our German Shepherd was 13 years old last October and I think her time may be near although I really hope not. All of her siblings passed a number of years ago so she is doing well although for the past six months or so she is sleeping a lot and her arthritis seems to be worse sometimes but other times you wouldn't know she had it.

As this is our first pet I was wondering what our options are for when the end does happen as I think we do need to prepare ourselves?

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've posted before on here that when my last lad's time was up, I arranged for the vet to come to the house and he went to sleep in my arms whilst being fed malteasers

We chose to bury him at home ourselves

However the vet can arrange cremation and you get to collect the ashes a week or so after, or they can give you the numbers of private pet crematories You can choose how you want to say your goodbyes from a full on service or just them doing it and returning the ashes

The one thing that's so important is knowing when it is the right time, and believe me, she will let you know
  • Jo4
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I've posted before on here that when my last lad's time was up, I arranged for the vet to come to the house and he went to sleep in my arms whilst being fed malteasers

We chose to bury him at home ourselves

However the vet can arrange cremation and you get to collect the ashes a week or so after, or they can give you the numbers of private pet crematories You can choose how you want to say your goodbyes from a full on service or just them doing it and returning the ashes

The one thing that's so important is knowing when it is the right time, and believe me, she will let you know

Thanks! I must have missed your thread but I know look for it now.
  • Hey, I kinda get where you are at as I had been feeling for a time that it was my Lady Cassies time to go at some point soon.

In our case I had to take her to the vet a few weeks back for her final journey as despite her health issues (kidney and liver) her back end gave out and she collapsed. Despite her previous issues she never once let me know what she wanted like that day, She passed at the vets and I brought her to the crematorium myself (they open when required which I am so grateful for).

we only just scattered her ashes this weekend.

I had hoped to arrange a vet to the house and have it perfect but Cass collapsed out a walk and I needed a stranger to help me get her to my car, its best not always to have set ideas i think or you do feel you have let them down xx
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    I also agree with other posters.

Our first dog actually collapsed & died at the vets due to her heart whilst there for a routine blood test for her liver - so the choice was not ours.

we had our second dog pts earlier this year, and although very upsetting, was the right thing for him at the right time.

you will know. enjoy your time with her. we have a cat in his third decade who we have thought might be on borrowed time for the last 10 years lol.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    A friend had two cats .One died this year .The cat was cremated .My friend wants the casket put in her coffin when she dies.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Sugarcandy
    Sugarcandy Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been through this a few times, most recently in December. My previous dog was PTS at the vet's surgery, it was very upsetting but a very kind vet who made the experience as good as it can be.
    With the most recent dog, I was now at a different surgery but decided to do the same as the last time - biggest mistake of my life! It was horrendous and I was traumitised by the whole experience. I really wish I had asked the vet to the house.
    On both occasions the surgery arranged the crematorium, and I only had to collect the ashes.
    A long time ago with one of my other dog's I buried her in the garden, I think that is a nice thing to do and I felt comforted having her there, but then we moved house, hence the reason I didn't do that again.
    With regards to knowing when it's time - everyone says you will know, but I never knew if the time was right, I certainly didn't let them go to early, maybe some people would say I left it a bit late.
    Enjoy each day for the time being, and trust she will tell you when she has had enough.
  • Jo4
    Thank you for the responses.

I am delighted to say she is still going strong although she is still sleeping a lot. She still seems happy.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Am I the only one who struggles to even read this thread, let alone think of what I'll have to do in a few years time? Hopefully a lot of years as the Rocky monster is only 5, but so hard to contemplate
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • Jo4
    Bigcammy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who struggles to even read this thread, let alone think of what I'll have to do in a few years time? Hopefully a lot of years as the Rocky monster is only 5, but so hard to contemplate

I did not mean to annoy anyone. I just want to prepare hubby & I for the inevitable while trying to do the best for our dog.
  • Jo4
    Our dog, Holly, passed this afternoon at 15:40. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

She was 14 years and 4 weeks old today. Four weeks ago, on her 14th birthday, she didn't seem herself and she was diagnosed with a heart condition although without the x-rays it couldn't be confirmed. We were advised that she would have to make an almost 200 miles round trip for the x-ray and the vets weren't sure if she would make the journey. On the advice of the vets we put her on tablets for the condition and we kept her on them until last Thursday because the vet said to try her without them for a week. On Tuesday evening she vomited, she didn't eat her food on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning so we took her to the vets on Wednesday and they advised us to take her to their other practice which we did. She walked into the second practice but while there she had to be carried to the consultation room and seemed to be in discomfort while being carried. Her tummy seemed to be tender. The vet gave her the heart tablet and put her on a drip, she also tried to give her some water and food but Holly wasn't interested. When we were allowed in to see her she stood up briefly before falling to the floor because she was too weak. The vet said she would keep her overnight on the drip and phone us in the morning which she did. This morning the vet said Holly was the same as yesterday she seemed to get a little bit of energy but then deteriorate again but she wanted us to come down to see what we thought of her and how we wanted to proceed.

We asked for her tummy to be x-rayed and they discovered that her windpipe wasn't where it should be although they couldn't see why. They also discovered an abnormality in her abdomen and they advised us that it wasn't good and that at most she had a couple of days of living the same way - unable to eat, drink or walk. With extremely heavy hearts we made the decision to put her to sleep because she was unable to eat or drink for 48 hours, she wasn't going to get any better according to the vets, she was unable to walk, Holly got hubby to hold her head up for her every matter of minutes and she was in pain and discomfort. She wasn't happy or comfortable, she had no quality of life.

We have asked for her to be cremated and we will get her ashes in the next 2 or 3 weeks apparently. I cannot believe she deteriorated so quickly. :cry::cry::cry::cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure