Dental Veneers

Options
I am thinking of getting them to give me the smile a Grinch deserves.

I have seen UK prices around £525 per veneer and abroad £290.

Do those prices sound about right? I need around 12-16 teeth done.

I am in London, but I am willing to travel UK wide if needs be based on a good recommendation

Has anyone had them done and can give me an indication of price or a recommendation?

Thank you :D
"enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say in many years of practice I have never seen anyone who needs 12 to 16 veneers "done".

Have you actually seen a dentist and had a treatment plan? Have they discussed the pros and cons of veneers?

Have they told you how long they are expected to last and what will happen as they need replacing?

Have they talked about the reasons why your teeth need that much treatment, what the alternatives are and the changes you may need to make to keep your teeth as healthy as possible for as long as possible?

What does your own regular dentist say?

With any dental work nothing lasts forever and each time it needs redoing you lose more tooth. The questions you should be asking are not what is the cheapest I can get this treatment I think I need , but rather what dentist should I find that can not only provide me with the best and healthiest options for my teeth but also be around for the long term care any extensive treatment plan will need.
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My colleague have seen someone 3 weeks ago for a toothache appointment. The guy has just only been back 4 days from Turkey, where he had all his teeth crowned ! (7 to 7 top and bottom). He wanted the full Joey Essex smile and went and got it! The trouble is after coming back from Turkey he had pains all over in his mouth- turns up he wasn't aware of the possibility of nerve damage, how long the crowns will last etc. The dentist examined him and as far as I know his bite was higher on one side than the other and he had decay under the newly done crowns! The dentist refused to touch him for any treatment advising him to go back to Turkey to sort it out. If she would've done anything to try and help then she would've been liable should anything more happen.
    Please consider all the implications before travelling abroad for any treatment!
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Ditto I have never known someone to need 28 crowns and have never seen 28 crowns done in this country but plenty from abroad. The minute a drill touches a tooth the lifespan of that tooth is shortened. You might start "just" having a veneer to make a tooth look better but even in the best hands all dental work eventually fails.

That's why large dental treatment plans need consideration,planning and plenty of time . More particularly time is needed to address the issues that caused the treatment to be needed and get the mouth into a healthy state and retain that healthy state.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting discussion..i wonder why someone would need veneers? Is it just to have the hollywood smile? If that is so then it isnt worth doing in my estimation. I just brush,floss,use interdental brushes and hope to keep my natural teeth for as long as poss. Dentistry is expensive enough without blowing big money on stuff like this that requires ongoing maintenance.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience getting veneers?

I am planning to do that as my upper teeth are in such a bad condition, whiteting is not possible and the drilling needed for veneers wouldn't make much difference as I have lots of fillings.

My dentist showed me before and after pictures. I think composite veneers look more natural whereas zirconium is shining from far...but then I read that zirconium lasts longer? Not sure what to choose yet.

Now for my lower teeth I can choose veneers or cosmetic bonding as they aren't too bad, only a few fillings. Dentist said cosmetic bonding would need less drilling which was a surprise...

If anyone could share their knowledge or experience regarding cosmetic dental work, it would be much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure