Can a 14 year boy have his hair coloured blue

Options
trollopscarletwoman
trollopscarletwoman Posts: 8,732 Forumite
edited 17 July 2015 at 6:55PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Can a 14 year old boy have his hair coloured blue legally in a salon.

My 14 year old son is doing for a cancer charity a series of challenges one of which is having blue hair for the summer term holidays.

He has already collected £200 on that basis.

A local hairdresser was going to color his hair but says has had to pull out saying that it is illegal.

A relative tried Swarhskop (something like that) but it didn't take.

I know nothing about hair.

So please any suggestions to get me out of this mess.

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You're thinking of Schwarzkopf .......

If you google blue hair dye there are lots of over the counter brands Which you can buy online or from chemists like Boots or Suoerdrug.

I guess it will depend on your sons original hair colour on which brand would be best, but obviously you will want something that will wash out by the time the schools go back in September.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question about salon treatments for minors.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a hairdresser either but you best bet would be to do it at home. The only problem is that if he doesn't have fair hair then you will probably need to bleach it first.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Armchair23
    Armchair23 Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter used to do http://www.crazycolor.co.uk/ with varying interesting results.

As your son is under 18 I can understand a salon saying they wont do it without parental consent but it's hardly the end of the world.

Give it a whirl at home, but in my experience (in my wilden days !) getting a strong colour on hair is much harder than you think you usually have to bleach it first.

You did used to be able to get some really good spray on colours would that do ?
  • trollopscarletwoman
    trollopscarletwoman Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2015 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Perhaps that's where the problem lies.

His hair is fairly fair.

But not blond by any means.

I take it that hair has to be bleached before it is colored.

Haven't got a clue.

Him and a pal took it on themselves to do this. His pal lost his mother to cancer 2 years ago.

Commendable but..
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I have really dark hair and sometimes dye it red or purple. It comes out in a dark shade but you can see the colour. I use Loreal Feria, I think they do a blue shade.

It might not be bright blue without bleaching it first, but it will be blue. The bleaching is just because the lighter the base the stronger the dye colour. A bit like with decorating, painting over a black wall will have a different effect to painting over white.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to your son, what's great thing to do to help his friend raise money in his mams memory.
    My daughter has very dark hair and has had good results with feria hair colours.
    You can also get the more vibrant colours on Amazon if you don't think feria will be bright enough, sorry I don't know the name of it, I can just remember hearing dd discussing it with her cousin.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't see anything on the net to confirm it's illegal, but, looking at this site, I can see why a salon would be reluctant to do it:
    http://www.beautytreatmentsolicitors.co.uk/suing-a-hairdresser-for-hair-dying-gone-wrong.html

Lots of kids use the wash-in-wash-out dyes when it comes to events like comic relief. Could he go down that route?
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it will need to be bleached first, but if I remember correctly, it's best not to dye it straight away afterwards, leave it a few days, if possible.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    PS it is not illegal, a girl could get highlights / streaks, so why can't a boy get blue? Try another hairdresser rather than doing yourself, it will be likely to turn out better and there will be no chance of your clothes / furniture / floors, being stained by blue dye!
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree find another hair dresser.

Also at the end of the school holidays I would suggest he dyes his hair a more normal colour if the school is strict on different hair colours. I keep seeing articles about certain schools sending kids home for having hair too short or long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure