Anyone used Insight Eating?

Options
My GP has recommended them for help with my binge eating. I just wondered if anyone has used them, and if they were useful? Also if anyone can give me an idea of the fees? I'm assuming it'll be in the thousands?

I think I'd be looking at level 3 (the highest level of support), but that's still only a few sessions so might not be enough. I don't know how intense the work is though.

I was thinking about finding a private counsellor to see regularly for however long it takes. Or even possibly acupuncture. Then when I spoke to the GP he suggested this place.

Any info would be great. I have emailed them to ask about fees but they haven't replied.
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry, I've not heard of insight eating, but i do think that therapy is crucial in overcoming eating disorders.

Have you been diagnosed as having BED?

I had (and continue to have) therapy for an eating eating disorder (although in recovery now) and found it the most helpful tool of all.

I pay privately, as i didnt want CBT ( i had tried it several times before- it's all the NHS provide here). My therapist works on a sliding scale, so i only pay £20 for an hours session.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

No, I don't have a diagnosis because I only binge on average 4 times a week (although it increases to pretty much 7 days when I'm stressed). It has to be everyday all the time for a diagnosis, at least in Leeds.

The place the GP recommended is a private clinic with up to 5 sessions each with a psychiatrist and dietician, plus two combined sessions. Given private psychiatrist rates are well over £200 an hour, I can't see all this coming in at less than three grand.

The fact that the clinic hasn't got back to me about my queries doesn't fill me with confidence.

Anyway, it's on the back burner for now. If I'm spending that amount of money it needs to be at the right time, and I have several other big stresses at the moment which could push me into crisis, so I'm having to deal with those first.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    In that case, i wouldn't bother with that place.

I would ask the GP to refer you to a dietitian, then find yourself a private therapist instead.

Do you restrict calories or exercise a lot to compensate for the amount that you eat? Or maybe your purge? I am wondering if you might come under a different diagnosis like Bulimia instead of BED? Or your diagnosis could be EDNOS.

No matter what the diagnosis, or whether or not you have one, its important to get help asap. Especially when there is a lot going on and you have a lot of stress.

Good luck :)
  • Ames
    Options
    Thanks.

I did see an NHS dietician, she was the one who said it's not often enough for me to be classed as BED and they couldn't help me.

No purging or compensating, which is why I weigh 18st and have diabetes. It doesn't help the arthritis either.

I don't qualify for any NHS help, my issues just aren't serious enough. Eating disorder services are terrible here.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    ED services are pretty terrible everywhere, unless you are dangerously underweight, it sucks.

Have you been in touch with Beat? They used to be known as the Eating Disorder Association. They can offer advice, have helplines, hold national support meetings and also host a wonderful forum area: http://www.b-eat.co.uk/

I know i keep on saying it, but i HIGHLY recommend a private therapist.
  • Ames
    Options
    I haven't been in touch with Beat, although I've heard of them.

I think a private therapist is the way to go. My food issues are so connected to all my other issues that I don't think one can be addressed without the other. I eat in response to stress, so dealing with stress so something as simple as making a phonecall doesn't send me spiralling downwards has to be best. I think that's going to take more than the five hours with a psychiatrist that the clinic offers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure