Inheritance of state pension top up

Options
2»

Comments

• greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    he was asking about the new scheme this year where it was possible to pay a lump sum to buy extra pension.
    In DWP speak you are enquiring about "State Pension Top up" also known as Class 3a contributions.

Maybe they dont have many enquiries about this!

Ring them up migh be better?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You were looking for this?

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-topup

See also http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS19_State_Pension_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Do you receive a full basic state pension in your own right?

And any SERPS/S2P of your own?

Your husband would have become eligible for state pension in 1995 so has no post 97 ASP of any kind.

Your husband's pre 97 additional pension is already reduced by the COD so that what remains is the inheritable portion?
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks xylophone. I get an 88% basic pension plus Pre 97 and Post 97 additional state pension. I also get extra basic and additional pension from my 3 years of deferring.

I know there's a cap on the amount of additional SERPS/S2P that anyone can get and this includes any inherited amount, but through 'googling' I found a government reply to someone saying that any amount bought under this new top-up scheme would not be included in the cap.

In the DWP reply quoted above I was confused by the last part saying that Contracted Out Deductions were 50%.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think they were confused between 'regular' voluntary contributions of class 3 and the top up contributions of class 3a.

The explanatory note is here and the calculator here.

The specific e-mail address to register interest is: statepension.topup@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure