Kitchenaid Mixer, is it worth the money?

2»

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely NOT insane.

I finally got mine last year (Gloss Black) after explaining to my wife that if she wants me to keep trying some of the recipes off TGBBO then I would need a proper mixer like the ones they used. ;)

Fantastic piece of kit which has coped with anything I could throw at it.

Keep an eye out for any deals on free accessories, I got an ice cream maker with mine.
  • FeistyFidget
    FeistyFidget Posts: 1,368
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks lovelies :) I will keep my eyes peeled for a good offer and then jump in!

I know that there is mixed reviews on finish (some customers have complained that the paint finish is chipped) so I'm hoping lake land or John lewis have a good deal :)
    [/COLOR]
    2024 Challenges
    Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2015 at 1:08AM
    I had the same decision to make a couple of years ago.., and in spite of the way it looks, the Kenwood won when I compared the motor power. I've seen the Kitchen Aid mixers struggling on Britains Great Bake off! Since then I have used it to make enough dough for two large loaves of bread, large amounts of cake dough when making multiple cakes and I know I would have regretted buying the Kitchen Aid.

Its definitely not as pretty.., but I am buying a mixer.., not a work of art.., I want it to mix primarily. And its not as expensive if you buy at the right time.

I also bought a fridge magnet saying 'I want a Kitchen Aid' with a picture of my favourite, the red one lol. But I'm happy with the decision I made.
  • twohooter_2
    twohooter_2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Like you I use it for pastry and coleslaw. Also breadcrumbs for stuffings and toppings, I slice potatoes for lyonnaise and duphanne dishes. I cook a lot of curry and it's great for slicing the huge amount of onions needed and it doesn't dona bad job of making pastes. Also when I'm batch cooking bolognaise and chillies it's great for the fine dice veg. When I make soup I slice all the veg through it, makes making soup a doddle I also make cookies and buns, grate cheese for quiches, make hummous , make butter, chop herbs. The list is endless

I used to have a processor many moons ago and gave it away for lack of use, but then I didn't scratch cook as much as I do now. I found watching Jamie's 15 min meals to be inspirational as there nothing that lad won't put through his :)

Today I'm only having oven baked fish and chips for tea but I'll be using it for the breadcrumbs to coat the fish and make the tarter sauce, saves all that fiddling about finely chopping gherkins and capers

Thanks for the ideas Suki. I make loads of soups and have never thought of slicing the veg in the Magimix (Doh). I can see it would save lots of time and effort plus the veg would certainly cooker quicker. Thanks for the tips!
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    OH is a chef and he has a Kitchenaid at work and at home. Swears by them.
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I love my cream kitchen aid and use it on a regular basis and always when making bread. I often give it a little pat as I'm passing by!!!

We got a good deal during the January sales in a local department store. There was money off plus a free glass bowl and cookbook.

Go for it!!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks lovelies :) I will keep my eyes peeled for a good offer and then jump in!

I know that there is mixed reviews on finish (some customers have complained that the paint finish is chipped) so I'm hoping lake land or John lewis have a good deal :)

If you see a good deal in a bricks and mortar store don't forget John Lewis operate a never knowingly undersold policy, aka price match. That way you get their superior customer service and after sales.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure