PSN - Worth it?

edited 16 July 2015 at 4:32PM in Gaming MoneySaving
27 replies 4.2K views
gabriel1980gabriel1980 Forumite
317 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 16 July 2015 at 4:32PM in Gaming MoneySaving
I'm paying £5.49 a month for this, but I'm not sure it's worth it or not. I don't usually try the free games, but I understand you need it to play online? I play GTA online a fair bit.

EDIT: I have a PS4

Replies

• marcarmmarcarm Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Cheaper to pay by the year, can get it for about £35 if you shop around, which is less than 7 months the way you are paying for it now.

For PS4 you need it to play online, but not for PS3, you don't say which system but I assume PS4 so yes you do need it.

Only you can say if it's worth it, if the amount of entertainment it gives you each month is worth paying £5.49 for, then yes it is.

Think about the equivalent time spent at the cinema/pub/football match and you will see it is actually very cheap.
  • MNM2903MNM2903 Forumite
    322 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I always get the games simply because im paying monthly for this and as its free you may aswell get them. It also depends on wether you can justify £5.49 per month to play gta online. To make it an easier decision £5.49 per month is less than 20p per day.
  • fozmcfcfozmcfc Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm debating whether it's going to be worth it for myself soon.

I got mine last year and it's due to run out either August/September, but I haven't used the PS4 for more than an hour or so for about 3 or 4 months now, so seriously thinking whether it's worth renewing it.

If anything comes out for PS + members I think is worth paying £35-£40 for, then I'll renew, otherwise I think I may just stay offline.
  • Bit hit and miss with the free games. I didn't download any of them last month, but this month I've been playing Rocket League more or less non-stop. The Abe's Odysee remaster, Rogue Legacy and Valiant Hearts have been highlights that immediately spring to mind.

Like some have said, it's required to play a lot of stuff on PS4 online. Destiny is a good example, some maps/ levels are only available to PS+ members.

I just pay it, but can see why some wouldn't.
  • mrsammypmrsammyp Forumite
    176 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I manage to sometimes get a quarterly/annual PSN membership on eBay for a lot cheaper. Past quarter I paid £6 for a gift card but it's hit and miss.
  • techno12techno12 Forumite
    682 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yup it's definitely worth it, and the normal 'cheap price' for a year is £32 or so, usually from CDKeys when they have offers on.

As others have said, hit and miss (often jerky indie stuff) but this month is great with Driveclub and Rocket League.
  • mustang121mustang121 Forumite
    329 Posts
    You have to pay for PSN?

I thought the biggest argument of Xbox V PS is that Xbox had to pay for Gold membership to play online whilst PS was free to play online?
  • Tlg1991Tlg1991 Forumite
    178 Posts
    PSN online on the PS3 was free, to play online on the PS4 you have to have PS+.

Personally i think it is well worth it. as some people have said you can get a year cheap on ebay or certain key code websites.

the reason for the poor selection of games for free on some months is mainly down to the slow releases on ps4 since launch. the ps3 offered great monthly free games but that was towards the end of its life cycle so to speak so people didn't have a problem offering their games for free.

still some of the indie games are fantastic and this month is great driveclub and rocket league are must plays.
    :j
  • pc master race reporting in.
    =0
  • mustang121mustang121 Forumite
    329 Posts
    Tlg1991 wrote: »
    PSN online on the PS3 was free, to play online on the PS4 you have to have PS+.

Personally i think it is well worth it. as some people have said you can get a year cheap on ebay or certain key code websites.

the reason for the poor selection of games for free on some months is mainly down to the slow releases on ps4 since launch. the ps3 offered great monthly free games but that was towards the end of its life cycle so to speak so people didn't have a problem offering their games for free.

still some of the indie games are fantastic and this month is great driveclub and rocket league are must plays.

I almost switched to PS4 as I thought it was free to play online. Glad I didn't now only because my friends stuck with Xbox.

I really don't see any difference between Xbox One and PS4 any more. Except that XBOX one now offers playback ability, something I shall unlikely ever use.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals